Help With Recording Acoustic Guitars

jconradi

Hello, I need some help on recording my acoustic guitar in Reason 9. I'd say I'm a very skilled producer, and I want to start to introduce fat and warm acoustic guitars to spice up some of my neo-soul // fusion tracks. I have an audiobox USB interface, but I also have a Blue Microphones Bluebird condenser mic. My question is, would it sound better to record the guitars with my guitar plugged straight into the interface, or record it with the microphone? Also, any tips on EQ'ing the guitars, or usage of any effects, etc, to help achieve that warm and fat//lush tone??? Thanks!

I don't mean to be rude, but what does "very skilled producer" mean?

Some information about the make & model of the guitar and the room you're recording it in would be handy, too.

A "very skilled producer" wouldn't need to ask this question.
You need to be a "very skilled engineer" as well.
I fear you may have the wrong, albeit very contemporary erroneous, definition of producer when it comes to recording audio.

The are more than 100,000 members of HR and about the same number of opinions on how best to record acoustic guitar.

My personal favourite is to use 2 matching SDC mics, one at roughly the 12th fret and the other between the sound hole and the bridge. I usually have them about a foot away from the guitar and slightly above so they're angled a little bit down. However, I tend to play with the exact positions for every session--small moves can make a difference.

I don't mean to be rude, but what does "very skilled producer" mean?

Some information about the make & model of the guitar and the room you're recording it in would be handy, too.

Skilled producer in terms of very knowledgable of things like arrangements and music theory, chord structures, song structure, etc. I just started trying to implement analog instruments, so that side is still sort of new. The guitar is a Taylor Guitars Grand Auditorium, it has a pretty full sound without it being amped, and the room is an average sized guest room space.

I would recommend using the search function on this forum to read the 1000's of answers and opinions regarding recording acoustic guitars. Or use google and find articles like this:

Cheers
Alan.

In an untreated (acoustically) room, sometimes the best option is a dynamic or two, but try your bluebird about 9" out from the 12th fret, angled slightly towards the soundhole.

In an untreated (acoustically) room, sometimes the best option is a dynamic or two, but try your bluebird about 9" out from the 12th fret, angled slightly towards the soundhole.

My suggestions as well.

I wanted to add that I find most built-in acoustic pickups are inadequate by themselves, as they miss the string action/noises and subtleties of the instrument. That's why mic'ing the 12th fret is commonly done, it picks up the sound hole from the side (not boomy) and the picking/fret noise.

You could have the built-in pickup as the left and the mic as the right, recorded to different tracks in the DAW, and then mix them as your ears see fit.

Does your interface have two inputs? Why not take a track from a mic and a DI track from the guitar.

Like most people have said, point the mic at about the 12th fret - I've had most luck with this.
You can even try blending it slightly with the track recorded by plugging the guitar straight in - I've had some success and some fun with that. Like all things with recording though - you'll have more failures than successes and you just have to try shit.

Ah, so "skilled producer" means arranger to you? A good producer may well assist with arrangements and music theory, chord structures and song structure when the clients need help or the brief from on high is to make the music a certain style or flavour. A pro producer would probably have an excellent engineer on hand to do the hard yards of capture according the the producer's directions.
You sound like you've musical knowledge in the theoretical and virtual world of music which is fab. Drop the nomenclature and dig into the experience and wisdom, (as well as humour and sarcasm) of the many who know what they're talking about on these forums.
Tip: listen to some of the music in their links to decide whether they are talking through their underpants, through their texts, their beer or their music. Once you know who to listen to you'll have every chance of learning stuff that will make your music sound good.
Everyone who has, to this point, chimed in has demonstrated their skills (except me - don't listen to me - I still check back in the stickies everytime I try to record something) so can be trusted.

... dig into the experience and wisdom, (as well as humour and sarcasm) of the many who know what they're talking about on these forums... Everyone who has, to this point, chimed in has demonstrated their skills (except me - don't listen to me - I still check back in the stickies everytime I try to record something) so can be trusted.

Humor or false humility? Either way, well said. ;)

Back