Help with old Altec rack

savageblues

Hello All!

I hope someone might help me with a few questions I have about an old Altec rack I have in my possession. Its an old green extra-deep 15 space metal rack with casters.

It has:

1. Power supply with key-lock switch (permanently ON, key lost).
2. Altec Mixer/Amplifier 1592b (5 channels with input transformers plugged into back).
3. Graphic EQ (no brand apparent - used to have a front folding cover which is now gone).
4. Altec Power Amp 1593b (says 50W output).
5. Patch bay with many 1/4" TRS inputs to XLR's on the back of pre/mixer).

It looks to have been put together very pro (terminal strips, power bar, tied wiring harnesses, multi-conductor cable). I tried the pre/mixer and it works fine on all channels (monitored from headphones patched into the 'monitor' output on the front of the mixer). I hope to try to utilize this as a mic-pre, but can't comment on the sound yet.

Thanks for hanging in this long; I'm coming to my question. The 1593b power amp output wiring (choose binding posts accordingly for between 4 and100 ohm output impedance) is routed through a small enclosure which has a transformer (inductor?) feeding three hard wired cords which have 3-prong connectors. I am imagining these 3-prong connectors are some old kind of speaker connection. Inspecting the transformer closer, it looks like it might serve as a type of protection, or maybe a impedence matcher? It appears to have little magnetic switches.

Is anyone familiar with this type of power output connection? Can you explain its function? Should try to utilize it somehow? What about the 3-prong connectors, ever run across these?

The unit also has a really long Cinch multi-connector cable which fed the mics at one point I presume based on the wiring.

I haven't tried wiring up a standard 1/4" jack to the power amp output posts yet @ 8ohms, but I'll try soon to see if it works.

Basically I'm looking at some wiring modifications, and maybe a re-cap on the pre/mixer (was quiet at first listen though). I know someone who thinks this thing might actually sound pretty decent! My brother spied it before it went into a dumpster at the local transfer station. Not bad for free!

Thanks for any comments!

Back