Help With Noise / USB Interface

Witterings

I'm using a Beringer 1222 FX mixing desk which came with a UCA 200 USB interface which I've downlaoded and installed the proper ASIO driver from Beringer's site but I think it may be that that's creating quite a highish pitch constant sound.
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the driver and tried using different USB ports but it makes no difference. I've tried unplugging virtually everything else in the room as well.
I've unplugged virtually everything from the mixing desk (normally have a set of drum mics into it) and am just using a single microphone, if you plug into the headphones socket there's no noise at all with the CD return set to Zero ie before the signals sent to the interface, as soon as you turn up the CD return then you hear the noise. I've tried plugging the outsputs from the interface into a different amplifier as a monitor instead and using the standard speaker line out from the computer so just using the interface for line in but you still get the noise.
As an alternative I've tried using the phono CD outputs from the mixer to a 3.5mm jack input using the onboard soundcard that came installed on the computer. Previously using Audacity I've successfully been able to do that, on the front of the computer there's a 3.5mm Microphone input along side a speaker output but using Reaper it won't seem to pick / see this input. On the back of the computer there's another Mic input and speakers out and also a Line In, if I plug it into here then Reaper sees it and and whilst there's no audible sound that you can hear the meter immediately springs half way up to approx -30 db and just stays there unless there's other sound that then takes it above there in which case it seems to rise and fall normally but returning to the - 30 db as a lowest level.
Personally I wonder if it's a "cheap" interface they include with the mixer that's causing the problem but that's a newbie trying to make a logical guess so I could well be wrong !!!!
Excuse my ignorance as well but am I right in assuming that if you have a good USB interface it doesn't matter what soundcard you have as the interface / driver are then doing the job for you or do you then still need a decent soundcard as well ???? One of me reasons for asking I'm considering getting a Zoom R16 (which can work as 8 input interface) as I play drums and want to more recording, at the moment I'm using the 7 mics going into the mixing desk but there's only the 2 channels going to the interface so I can't put effects on just one drum ie play around with the compression etc on just the snare and leave the rest or change the EQ on the bass drum.
Any help / idea's to try and troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated !!!
PS
Just thought I'd add this as well, playing any pre recorded MP3's through the line out there's no buzz or anything but just clear sound as it should be. I have tried doing a recording and then playing back via both the ASIO and the onboard soundcard and both of them have the buzz recorded on them.

This is a fairly common problem but it can be tricky to eliminate because there can be quite a few different causes. For starters, try reducing the refresh rate on your video card and maybe stepping down the graphic resolution a bit. See if that makes any difference. If not, try a USB cable swap. There's a member here, Rusty K, that's fighting the same problem. I don't know if he licked it or not, but you might drop him a PM and see where he is with it. Let us know how it turns out.:cool:

This is a fairly common problem but it can be tricky to eliminate because there can be quite a few different causes. For starters, try reducing the refresh rate on your video card and maybe stepping down the graphic resolution a bit. See if that makes any difference. If not, try a USB cable swap. There's a member here, Rusty K, that's fighting the same problem. I don't know if he licked it or not, but you might drop him a PM and see where he is with it. Let us know how it turns out.:cool:

Here's the thread he started on this issue...

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=3287420#post3287420

Good luck!

Thanks for the quick replies, I can change the resolution easily enough, I can't seem to find out how to change the Video Card Refresh rate, I've googled it and there are loads of articles telling you what it is and what it should be set to but not one tells you how to change it :rolleyes:

The USB cable swap might be a bit tricky as well as it's all part / hard wired into the interface.

The one other thing I as wondering but it may have no relevance at all, the computer's against an outside wall and literally just the other side inches away is the meter for the gas supply, I don't know if that could affect it at all ??? - Just a thought.

Am just editing this as I've just found out how to change the refresh rate, I'll give those both a go this evening when I get home !!!!!!

Tried the refresh speed and resolution this morning and made no difference so bought it into work and plugged it into a different computer in a totally place and it does exactly the same !!!
Seeme like it's a cheap rubbish interface or alternatively it doesn't like using the CD input / output but would imagine that's what most people use ?????
If I want try using different outputs on the mixer just in case, can I use the Aux returns as an out as it'll be easier for me to get 1/4" Jack to RCA converters than XLR (the main outs) to RCA leads.

Just thought I'd post a reply as anyone else doing a search with the same problem may find it useful, it was the cheap USB Interface as if I take either a stereo jack out of the headphones or 2 phono leads from the CD/Tape out into the 3.5mm Microphone input the whine goes away !!!!!

You probably have a ground loop via the USB cable, this happens a lot and it happens as much to expensive cards as it does cheap ones. You need one of these between the mixer output and sound card input.

If you are monitoring via the mixer you will need another between the sound card output and the mixer input.

Cheers

Alan

Back