Help with new equipment

axeshredder

I have a good PC, guitar , amp, and im looking to record heh.

Im looking at the Mark of the Unicorn Audio 2408 system and a Mackie VLZ 1202 mic pre-amp and of course a sure-57 mic.'

NOW the big question ....will this equipment give my pro sound????????????!?!?!?!?! or is there better products out there im not to concerned with coST so let me know whats better.

i want good sound/tone with no noise/clipping shit. all u pro sound guys out there plz let me know if those are wise purchases ..thx

You should be able to record excellent guitar sounds with the setup you describe, combined with some skill.

Why go cheap...

Just get a soundcard with 24/96 digital I/O, and purchase an Apogee or Lucent A/D/A converter.

Forget Mackies! You want Millenium Media mic pre's!

The 57 is fine for the close up mic, but maybe a Sony C12 for the distance micing.

Oh wait, maybe get one channel of Neve for the 57, then use the Millenium Media for the Sony! That's it! That would rock your world.

The whole setup would be about, oh, maybe $6000. But it would be the shit! :)

Ed

Guitar: Ibanez JEM
Amp: Mesa/Boogie Rectifier

What is yoru opinions on ADATS as opposed to going with the system above???? would i t be user friendlier/better sound quality?

thx lot

Sound will be virtually equivalent. If you're at home on a PC, I'd say go for the PC DAW -- more flexible. If not, go for the ADAT or something similar. Have you seen the new Mackie and Tascam 24-track digital recorders?

mACKIE 24-TRACK digital ??????? they anygood (url?)
and wha t is the PC DAW?

and one more thing wouldnt it be ezier to mixdown tracks (and cut & pasting) on a PC based recording system or with ADATS??????

Just get a soundcard with 24/96 digital I/O, and purchase an Apogee or Lucent A/D/A converter.

hey sonus can i have links to the Apogee or Lucent webies or just give me the link to the beset quality one plz.
And could u also give me a link the best 24/96 (whatever that means) soundcard

thx

In This Day and Age

I'd go for PC recording. It's so easy to edit, mix, change, re-record, master, and burn to CD.

Additionally, many PC recording programs have whats known as "Non-destructive" editing; say for instance you record something on a track, then do another take on the same track, but you decide the first take was the better of the two, no problem, you just cut that second take, and there's the original take right there, in time, in the same position! Do that with an ADAT!

An ADAT is going to cost you about $1800.00 new. That'll give you 8 tracks. I bought "Nuendo" for about $1600.00 and the recommended sound card for about another $700.00 and I can have up to 256 tracks. Now, I've never used 256 tracks, but I have used 18 - 20 tracks and my system handels it fine.

Also, this program has on-board effects that would rival any outboard gear that a home user would come across.

Consider too, how you're going to get your music from you're guitar (By your nick-name, I'm assuming you are a guitar player) to the PC's multi-track recorder. Do you intend to mic the amp? If so, I feel that the microphone is the single most important link in the musical chain. I'd put my money there. Buy some really good mics!

Someone else mentioned Apoogee as an AD/DA converter, and they are excellent! They are pricey though. That will be my next major purchase for my studio.

Here's a list of my studio equipment:

Microphones

Neumann TLM103 2
Shure SM81 2
Shure SM(Dust-collecting)57's 2
AKG C1000S 1
CAD ST100 1

Processors

DOD Graphic EQ 1
Yamaha O1V 1
dbx286A Comp./Limiter 1
ART Tube Pre-Amp 1

Sound Modules

Roland JV2080 1
Alesis NanoPiano 1
Alesis DM5 1

Computer/Software

Compaq 750Mghz 1
Steinberg 96/52 1
Steinberg Nuendo 1

Instruments

Fatar Studio 90 1
Yamaha Alto Sax 1
Yamaha Alto Clarinet 1
Boston Grand Piano 1

Miscellaneous

Alesis RA 100 Reference Amp. 2
Rack Rider Line Conditioner2
Cables Various 1
Music Stand Manhasett 1
Furniture Various 1
Alesis Monitor 1's 1pr
Tannoy Reveal 1pr

Shop around, ask questions, and happy recording!

Yes i was planning on Recording from my Boogie amp into a Shure 57 mic? i heard they where good? (any new suggestions welcome on the mic Situation)

Then i guess i would go into the Mackie Pro mic pre then into my 2408 MOTU soundcard.

I have Yorkville Monitors (althought im not sure where they would fit into the equation. I guess to listen to playback right?)
And also i am going to record acoustic as well as Electric

I currently have Cakewalk Pro9 but i might be upgrading to Sonic Foundry i heard its excellent. And im playing A JEM 7dk

I want pro sound. How close will i be with this eq. of course ill have to eventually by a COmpressor and a effects rack mount (when i find out which one is good)

and suggestions welcome

P.S Csus7 (nice chord btw:D) what do u mean by "medium i want to master?"

Shredder,

If you're using a Rectifier, why not eliminate the hassle of finding a mic that won't change your guitar sound and go with the POD by Line 6 which models a Rectifier? Or, if you are going to put acoustic guitar on there, the Johnson unit models acoustic. Going direct beats a mic any day.

-wp

sonic foundry what? vegas or soundforge. If its vegas, which is suspect it is, save your money. It is very good, but I won't say it's that much better than cakewalk.

Get Logic audio platinum instead. More included fx and midi support when you need it. nice.

recording guitar. from a 57 to a mackie, into motu2408 into cakewalk out through some decent monitors will do just fine.

a better mic will make it sound more pro (eg at4033)
into a warmer pre that will make it sound even more pro (joemeek vc6q)

into a motu 240 which sounds good enough already,
into a more pro software that will make it sound more pro and give you more fx,

out through better monitors so YOU can tweak stuff to make it sound more pro,

all tied up with some nice cable will make your guitar sound way more pro.

but to record a good guitar, you have basically already what it takes. each change just makes it sound a little bit better, it does not introduce anything actually new to you guitar

Shredder,

The Line 6 POD is what we now call an amp modeller. It is a direct box that simulates virtually every amp ever made. It utilizes software. It also has onboard effects like chorus, flange, and delay so you don't need any rack mount stuff. Just plug into your POD, plug into your mixer and off you go. Check them out at http://www.line6.com.

Oh yeah. The Line 6 also comes with a Floorboard (an extra $250 or so) which can change the preset sounds and has a volume pedal and a wah which is remarkably similar to a Cry Baby.

Run, don't walk, to your local Guitar Center and plug into a Line 6 amp. I bet you walk out of the store a little lighter in the wallet but the smile on your face will never go away.

Mine hasn't. :-)

!!!!!!!!!

MesA/BOOGIE@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no way that thing can sound like a rectifier!!!!!!!

?@!??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Believe me, it does. It may even sound better. I used to use multiple cabinets running in stereo with racks of stuff and the smallest Line 6 amp, the Spider 112, sounds better. You can read reviews right on the homerecording.com site if you're not convinced. It's cleaner, quieter, and more consistent than regular amps which sound different if it's raining or if the tubes aren't quite as warm as the last recording. It's got more gain and low end than you'll know what to do with.

Give it a shot. Whatcha got to lose?

I was skeptical too but now I'm a firm believer.

Back