Help with my powermac G4 based set up

Ok, let me start by describing my current set-up:
I have a firepod running into a Powermac G4 (QS) 800 Mhz and 768 megs of RAM. I'm currently using the Cubase LE program that came with my firepod.

Now, i've been hobby recording for awhile, but i just now used my firepod for recording an entire band - basically: I used all eight tracks for the first time.

I had no problem tracking 8 simultaneous tracks - no latency or noise issues whatsoever. However, i'm now having a bit of trouble with the Cubase software. You see, when i use more than one VST insert, the audio starts to crackle and skip in playback (of the eight track session). Discouraged, i refrained from using any inserts and went about EQing the session. Much to my dismay, however, when i started EQing the last track, as soon as i turned on the EQ loop, the SAME EXACT crackling started to happen in the playback.

I know that i'm insufficient in the area of computing power, but i'm not sure how to remedy it. 768 MB of RAM seems a bit excessive already - so would it really make any difference to up it to 1.5 Gigs? Is it in the processor, and if so, is there any way to increase my computing power short of buying a better computer?

any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

also, if it helps, other specs on my machine are:
Processor Type : PPC 7455 (G4)
Processor Speed : 800 MHz
Processor Upgrade : G4 Daughtercard
FPU (Integrated) : PPC 7455 (G4)
System Bus Speed : 133 MHz
Backside Bus Speed : N/A
ROM Size : 1 MB
Data Path : 128-bit
Level 1 Cache : 64k
Level 2 Cache : 256k
RAM Type : 8ns PC133 SDRAM
VRAM Type : Video Card
Maximum RAM : 1.5 GB
RAM Slots : 3
Standard VRAM : 32 MB
Maximum VRAM : 32 MB

Last edited:
Those pops and crackles are surely a result of a too-small buffer size.

Increase the size of your Firepod's buffer and they will go away. Especially if you're just mixing you can easily use what would otherwise be a latency causing buffer size to keep the audio stream free of artifacts.

And 768 MB is not excessive in the least. As much memory as your system can access would not go to waste and would give you additional track and plugin elbow room.

ok ... how do i go about increasing the firepod's buffer size?
just an increase in RAM, or is there some way to access/adjust it manually?

sorry for a dumb question, but hey .. figuring it out

Generally, the buffer size is set in the audio recording software. At least it is in Pro Tools. You can usually find some sort of hardware setup tab that allows you to increase and decrease that. Also, you want to make sure you remember where it is, because when you track you want it set as low as possible to decrease the latency. Then, once mixing starts you increase to allow for more plug-ins and such.

RAM is a memory stick. You have to buy more to increase it in your G4.

Back