help with monitor hiss as it is only

samrisio

coming from the left speaker? wierd...i use KRK Rokit 5's and the cables are balanced..coming thru a boehringer UB1832 FX Pro mixer..subouts to M Box and Control Room out to monitors..cant find problem...any general ideas on how to troubleshoot would be appreciated

If it's just one speaker, do this.
Swap the inputs on the two speakers, ie plug the left channel into your right speaker and vice versa. If the same speaker gives you hiss, then it's the speaker. If the problem jumps to the other speaker, it's upstream....

Swap the output of the mixer, ie plug the cable connected to the left speaker into the right channel out of the mixer, etc. If the same speaker gives you hiss, then it's the cable, otherwise it's still upstream.

Swap the inputs to the Mixer, ie plug the left output of the Mbox to the right channel input of the Mixer (keep everything routed as before). If the same speaker gives you hiss, it's the board (likely considering it's a behringer). Otherwise, it's upstream.

Continue in this manner til you narrow down the problem. This type of logical deduction works wonders on tracking down all sorts of problems in the studio.

I'm having some problems with monitor hiss at the moment as well. I'm using a pair of Wharfedale 8.2s (active) with an LCD monitor set up between them. The cables are unbalanced (M-audio firewire 410 doesn't have balanced outs). What are some likely causes for this problem? Thanks for the help!

~Jordan

I had some hiss problems with behringer truths - turned out is was rf interference which about 10 ferrite clips virtually fixed for me.

it's unlikely the lcd would cause such a problem (they are shielded monitors right?).

i think sometimes getting your power cables close to the audio cables can cause problems too?

make sure the volume on the back is the speaker is not at 11.
keep both volumes down around 7 on both speakers, then tweak as needed.

I have Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8.2A's and 2 LCDs between them and had terrible noise till I disconected the earth pins in the LCD power supplys.

Are they magnetically shielded? Grounded?

If not, having them close to any electronic equipement (Monitors) will cause problems.

Back