Help with mixing!

JBr33zyMusic

Hey guys, I don't want to be another guy that comes on and asks for a mixing process. I want to know what each step does (eq,reverb,delay) to the vocal and know what to change. Could someone please help me with some information? Thank you!

Man, that is like the most impossible question for anyone to answer for you. It is dependent on the genre, song, and style, as well as each chorus or verse within a song.

You just have to experiment, research, apply what you learn, then experiment, research, and apply again.

I will suggest that you stay as far away from reverb FX as possible. You will realize that it is not your friend for getting things sounding good. It can help a good mix, but will not be the start to one.

What ever happened to reading books and magazines and then applying what you read into the equipment you are using to see what happens?

Now where is that magic button?

Alan.

What ever happened to reading books and magazines and then applying what you read into the equipment you are using to see what happens?

Now where is that magic button?

Alan.

Ahh, the ever elusive 'magic' button...

Shh, don't tell anyone. It is actually found with a Google search for 'majik' That is the way us pro's hide it from everyone else......by spelling it all funny......Shhh.....

Hey guys, I don't want to be another guy that comes on and asks for a mixing process. I want to know what each step does (eq,reverb,delay) to the vocal and know what to change. Could someone please help me with some information? Thank you!

Sorry to break it to you, but you can't learn how to create art by simply asking the artist how they do it.

That's like if I asked da Vinci how he paints. And then expect to be able to paint pictures like his.

Sure, you can get a few tips...but these can only be understood and applied once you have the experience. No one can give you this experience except yourself.

I used to read mixing tips from "the masters" when I first started learning. And I tried to apply them to my mixes. This only ended up in more confusion, because I was trying processes that were supposed to give me certain results, and I did not know what was wrong when I didn't get those results.

Over the last couple years, I have learned that the only way to learn to mix is to mix. Again. And again. And compare your mixes to your old mixes, and to commercial releases.

LISTEN.
Make mistakes.
LEARN.
Mix something else.
Mix it again.
Listen to songs you've heard a hundred times, but listen for things you haven't heard before. Focus on one part and see how it changes throughout the song.
Listen to what sort of effects are on the vocals you love so much.
Listen to the right channel only.
Listen to the left channel only.
Mix something else and try to get closer to the end result you want.
Use only delays, no reverbs.
Use only reverbs, no delays.
Don't use any spacial effects at all.
Compare your mix to a commercial mix in a similar genre.
Take note of the differences, and see what you can do to minimize them.
Mix something else without references.
Mix it again with references.
Compare your two mixes.
Make note of the difference and try to compensate in your next mix.
Mix with lots of compression.
Try parallel compression, smashing the compressed part.
Try parallel compression, while lightly compressing the compressed part.
Mix with no compression.
EQ before compression.
EQ after compression.
Now do it all over again.

The only way for you to figure out how all of these techniques help (or hurt) you is to try them. Discover with your own ear what they do to the sound. Think about when it would be useful and when it would not be useful.

See what I mean?

The simplest rule I can think of to help you mix easier is........get the sound you want from the source, then record it over and over until you get it to play back thru the speakers the way you want to hear it in the final mix. Do not assume you can just record any sound and then change it "in the mix" to be the sound you want. That will only create more mud.

Record the drums, rhythm guitar and keys, and bass lines first, maybe with a scratch throw-away vocal track for reference. Then mix just the rhythm section. If you cant get that to sound right, then it wont do much good to record and mix anything else until you get the rhythm section right. If the rhythm section sounds right, all the other tracks will be much easier and more inspiring to record and mix.

Use a trick I am happy to admit that I learned from MassiveMastering........never record anything any signal hotter than -14. If it isn't loud enough while you are working, turn the monitors up or the headphones up, don't turn the signal levels up. Then do you mixing with everything averaging -20 to -14. Don't run anything above -10 and certainly dont run anything near 0. And never use any reverb in your mixing until you are ready to master. You can use reverb in the monitor for the singers or whatever, but don't mix with it until after the mix is right.

A good start for me was a thread on reaper forums by Yep called why do my recordings found like ass. Truly a gold mine of a thread for a noob.

Back