Help with mixing/mastering

Mchu86

This is a cover song, and I'm just recording for sake of learning.

What can I do to make the bass notes louder?

Any comments/critique on the quality would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Michael

This is a cover song, and I'm just recording for sake of learning.

What can I do to make the bass notes louder?

Any comments/critique on the quality would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Michael

Nice open sound and tight too. The bass notes are there so I'm not sure why you need to bring them out more. Any more and it gets boomy. The intro has less of you on the bass notes but that sounds like a playing thing. Later in the song your bass is much more present. Great performance overall.

Anyway you can post the guitar and vocal stems in WAV file...only way to see what track needs eq wise is to try a little mix of it...I would like to try a mix if your willing to post stems/tracks.

Thanks for the comments :)

This was recorded guitars and vocals at the same time. I was able to get very little bleed on the vocal mic, but some on the guitar mic. Slight EQ to both vocals and guitar, slight delay panned right for the guitar, and light reverb added to both tracks.

I will post up the 2 tracks later tonight for any willing to help.

I'm putting together a CD of cover songs to give to my friends/family. The goal is to get the sound of a live, natural recording session. More specifically, I'm trying to achieve the sound and feel of Eric Clapton's "Sessions for Robert J." DVD/CD, where Clapton is in a hotel room by himself recording vocals and guitar at the same time.

Cheers,
Michael

Nice mix kip.

May be a bit to much verb on vocals however other than that it sounds nice...I tried a mix but didnt like how it turned out...I may try again.

If your looking for a mixer or (want to mix) songs in the future you should post stems over at mixoff.org...Its where the mixers hang out.

Hopfully its ok to post links on this site...theres arlready some members from homerecording at mixoff.org i think...pretty sure there is anyway.

MixOff Forum - Index

what are you mixing with ?
daw?
plug ins?
outboard?
i did my mix in cubase sx3
guitar had a waves trueverb insert (really quite dry) and a roomworks reverb on a send bus
vocal had a waves Rvox compressor insert and the same roomworks reverb on a send bus
export to wavelab and treated with an expander and peak limiter compressor
the intro guitar and chord solo needed the bringing up a bit and were normalised to suit my ears (and hopefully the mix) dithered and then converted to mp3 in cool edit.
im not a big fan of mp3 now i know better lol but its conveinient for posting on here so
let me know how you get on maybe even repost it so i can have a listen
thanks mate

Thanks for the mix kip4 and for your effort D_Vincent :)

I like how it sounds more balanced, though I agree, the reverb is a bit much for me.

You'll probably cringe when I tell you how I'm recording...

I am recording into a BOSS BR-600 and exporting to Reaper to do my mixing.

Cheers,
Michael

Back