help with mixer

nosignal

hi i have a behringer pmx2000 powered mixer, and ive tried using it to record on my computer but it gives of a hum, and i was wondering if i got an unpowered mixer if this would fix my problem, i like putting each mic into a mixer then sending the final mix of whatever it is im recording (drums, guiar, bass) into my computer. if anyone could help i would greatly appriciate it.

nosignal said:
hi i have a behringer pmx2000 powered mixer, and ive tried using it to record on my computer but it gives of a hum, and i was wondering if i got an unpowered mixer if this would fix my problem, i like putting each mic into a mixer then sending the final mix of whatever it is im recording (drums, guiar, bass) into my computer. if anyone could help i would greatly appriciate it.

First off, how are you connecting the mixer to the computer?

i just sent the line out on the behringer where i would usually plug speakers into, into the computers line in, i tried the mic input to just incase

if it's a powered mixer like you say, make sure you are'nt running the mixer's power amp into the sound card. you'll blow the shit out of the sound card.

that mixer has preamp outputs. i'm not sure if those are line level but i'm guessing that they are. try using the the left/mono and right preamp outputs to your sound card. how are you connecting? an adapter?

also, connect your mixer into the same power outlet that the computer is using to help prevent a ground loop. a ground loop will cause hum.

just don't send any powered outputs to the sound card.

nosignal said:
i just sent the line out on the behringer where i would usually plug speakers into, into the computers line in, i tried the mic input to just incase

That's what I was affraid of. TravisinFlorida already answered the question though. If you're connecting to the sound card via the same outputs (speaker outputs) you would use to connect to the speakers, than you're connecting post power amp and that is not good, as Travis said.

I'm looking at the PMH2000 (formerly the PMX2000 according to zzounds) online, and it looks like you have the option of preamp outputs (L/Mono, Right via 1/4" jacks). Or you can use the Tape/Line Output via stereo RCA jacks.

I would say your best option would be to get a stereo mini to stereo RCA cable and connect the mixer via the RCA Tape/Line Output into the Line In on your sound card.

man that worked awesome thank you both so much for helping me ive posted my problem on just about every message board possible and nobody has helped but i thank you with all my heart, thank you so much. the tape out worked likea charm i havent tried the preamp yet but i will soon. thanks again

Reactions: RAK
i blew my sound card i plugged in a powered mixer 10 sec later it smelled like burning my cmputer shut down i turn it back up the left side didn work but hey u learn from mistakes

Reactions: RAK
Back