Help with mix

Ryan_570

Hi,
I'm currently feeling a bit unhappy with my mixes recently and so looking for some guidance.
I don't want to tell you what I'm not happy about, or what gear I've used as I'm looking for unbiased truth from fresh ears. Harsh as you like.
The most recent one here was for a Nepalese guy. First time he'd recorded so nothing too mean about him please.
Cheers.

I am in no way a professional engineer and I have recently used this site for help on my mixes. What I've gathered to improve my mix from people giving suggestions are that my mix was muddy and a bit unclear in parts.

The first thing I noticed once the full band started in your mix was that parts sounded similar to my original track mix in terms of the unclear parts and muddy sounds of the bass and guitar..

It may not help, but worth a shot:

On the bass guitar track, give a wide EQ cut on everything past 1K. It allows a lot of room for the guitars to "breath" and show up clearer in the mix. On the same EQ, boost slightly around 100hz and cut around 250-300hz.

On the guitar tracks, cut around 250-300hz, boost around 1k and again at 5.5k (sharper boosts, not wide)

I'm not sure if you've compressed the snare, but if you haven't add a slight compression. Mess with the snare presets to find something that makes the snare stand out a bit more.

In the kick, boost around 100hz and cut everything after 5k.

On my track I have a slight bit of reverb on the guitar tracks that may help.

For the vocal tracks the guys on the forum here told me to make room by boosting a spot and then cutting that spot out of the guitars so that it gives space. It depends on which part sounds better to boost on your vocals, so you'll have to play with it.

You could try doubling the snare track, adding some reverb and lowering the volume to give it a larger feel, but it will still punch through because of the original track.

I'm not a fan of the reverb or digital distortion you added to heavier vocals towards the end. Not sure what you added, but I think it's a bit too much (Part at 2:55 - 3:10ish and again closer to the end) Might be that the volume is too loud, either way something about it sounds off to me, could be just me.

Might be cool to have everything at the start have a lot of reverb, or an fm radio effect on it to reduce the clarity or quality at the start so that when the part at 14 seconds comes in, it sounds huge!

Cool track, hope that helps.

Back