Help with MIDI DR5 to FL Studio/ New to MIDI

Scooter B

HELP!

I have read an intorductory book on MIDI for musicans and done extensive searching here and elsewhere but I an't get this thing to work and perhaps I fail to understand how MIDI does and does not work.

I have as my recorder a Yamaha AW16G. I like to program drums on my DR5 but the dynamics are very limited but the DR5 is very easy to use for guitar players. Fruity Loops has much more tweakability for varying dynamics, attack etc... but I can't get the hang of writing a drum part on a PC (and I don't want to buy any more equipment right now).

Pertinent equipment list;
FL Studio on Win 98
DR5
M-Audio 1x1 Midiman
Echo Darla 24/96 and of course
Yamaha AW16G

After I have the drum track I want tweaked in FL Studio I can either burn a stereo wave file to CD or use my Echo Darla 24/96 and send an audio signal with up to 8 individual outs to individual tracks on the G.

The process I want is this:

1. Write drum parts for a song on my DR5 - I write on guitar/bass and write the drum parts to go with my devoping song.

2. Send the MIDI data of the song as a whole song drum track into Fruity Loops (FL) as kind of a "rough draft".

3. Now that I have a fairly complete working drum track in FL I can send it to my G as previously described.

What I have tried:
1. Play a song on the DR5 in real time with the MIDI hooked up to FL. In FL I have created a kit with one of each of the drum parts programed...1 bass drum, 1 snare, 4 toms, 1 snare...

2. With MIDI enabled in FL and the
RECORD ON with the "wait for signal"
option I start the song on the DR5.

My problem;

1. FL does not seem to want to let you record a whole song of MIDI drum input. FL wants you to do one pattern (bar) at a time.

2. FL seems to recieve some MIDI input. I hear all the drums on my monitors but only one channel of the drum kit seems to be active on my PC screen at a time and NO data is being recorded. The single loop displyed on the FL screen plays over and over through out the song but nothing is recorded.

I have asked for help at the FL user support, a DR5 User group but I have not gotten anywhere...

One guy who types in very broken english seemed to indicate that I need an additional program on my PC to save my song as a MIDI file and dump the song from the DR5 into this program. Then I neeed to send this saved MIDI file to FL and open it in FL.

Is this correct?

I do not see any features on the DR5 that lets you dump a song as a MIDI file from the DR5 into your PC.

Any individual help or links to a MIDI primer would be most appreciated because I think I am missing something here in my understanding of how to get a MIDI song from my drum machine into FL.

Thanks

Your broken english friend is probably correct. I've never used FL but it sounds like it's mainly a pattern sequencer and not a full sequencer. You need a real sequencer program.

Or just record the patterns into FL and reassemble them into the song.

I suppose your next question will be what is a cheap sequencer. I don't know, sorry. You might search or maybe somebody will come along. I know there are some free and cheap ones out there. If you want to spend some money get Sonar or Cubase SX.

Well my broken english friend did refer me to one freeware program sequencer that I have downloaded but have not haf time to work with yet...

I guess I will try that this weekend but if I get the DR-5 track into this sequencer program I still dont know how to get that into FL....the FL manual pretty much assumes you are going to program in FL and possibly export MIDI. It indicates importing MIDI should not be a problem but I can't find anything that tells you how. I think they assume anyone buying Fl is well aquainted with MIDI.

Well, I thought that FL Studio was a "real" sequenser...

I thought so too!

There just seems to be a missing link between the MIDI out of the DR-5 and FL STUDIO even with my M- Audio Midiman.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Back