Help with Mic for my voice.

lazedout

Hey all. I am getting into the hip hop game and started a little while with a MXL .006 USB Mic. I wasnt getting very good quality and it was quiet, So I am going to upgrade somewhat. I want to get a condenser but dont know whether to spend more on mic or preamp. I was thinking of the following mics:

-AT3035 - 150 (aprox, +pre, cables, stand)

-AT4040 - 250 (aprox +pre, cables, stand, lol repetitive)

-Rode NTK with the supplied power supply and a usb mp pre amp or possibly something a little better, would it sound good without a good preamp? (suggestions?) (399 for NTK new, without stand, cable, pre)

-SM7 w/M-Audio DMP3 pre - 510 (aprox, without stand, cables)

The most I would spend on a good mic is $400. But I would rather spend less if I could and make up with a preamp. BTW! I was also considering getting a mixer instead of a preamp as they supply the phantom power right? (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/802VLZ3/) Maybe.

I dont want to spend over 600 overall. If I could spend less than that It would be nice, I dont want to spend extra unless it is justified because I will probably end up upgrading in the future unless the mic I get now is clear sounding.

Just so you know I am not doing this in a professional space at this point. Just in the middle of a room, low ceilings and carpet.

HERE IS A QUICK ROUGH SONG TO SHOW MY TYPE OF VOICE>>>>> http://www.zshare.net/audio/1540546758959336/

Thanks.

Let me know.

Last edited:
I'm still fairly new to this too, but I think you'll get a fair number of affirmatives on the SM7 & DMP3. The SM7 is a dynamic but I've seen many threads where people have stated they use it for 90% of the vocals they record regardless of range/style.

thanks for that. I was pretty set on going with the at3035 or at4040 but i dont know now lol. I hear that the SM7 can be quiet unless you speak loudly into it. Can someone clear this up lol, im pulling my hair out trying to decide.

ALSO: What interface would i need for this. Again, especially for the interface, Im on a budget. I was wanting to spend 600 max total.

thanks for that. I was pretty set on going with the at3035 or at4040 but i dont know now lol. I hear that the SM7 can be quiet unless you speak loudly into it. Can someone clear this up lol, im pulling my hair out trying to decide.

ALSO: What interface would i need for this. Again, especially for the interface, Im on a budget. I was wanting to spend 600 max total.

It's not quiet--it's just that most of us are used to using condensers for vox, and the SM7 is a dynamic--so it's not ultra hot and sensitive like a large diaphragm condenser. It just needs some nice clean gain. Here's a track with all the lead vocals done with an SM7 (the bass guitar was too--it's a versatile mic that you'd use in lots of ways if you track other instruments):

which pre and interface are you using it with.

I can get a good deal on a MPA Gold (269 with cables, free shipping) but I dont know if it has enough gain for this mic. Or is the DPM3 good enoug?

I have no clue about the interface.

I find it to be very directionally sensitive, I'm pretty sure its not omni directional. Unless your like 2 inches directly in front of it, it doesn't have very good pick up

I find it to be very directionally sensitive, I'm pretty sure its not omni directional. Unless your like 2 inches directly in front of it, it doesn't have very good pick up

Which is part of its strength. So many home recorders drop big bucks on ultra-sensitive condensers and are disappointed when they find that now they're picking up every nuance of a crappy sounding room.

which pre and interface are you using it with.

I can get a good deal on a MPA Gold (269 with cables, free shipping) but I dont know if it has enough gain for this mic. Or is the DPM3 good enoug?

I have no clue about the interface.

I have both of those. (Actually my DMP3 are in the form of the 8 channel Octane; same pre architecture but less gain--50 vs. 66 for the DMP3 I think).

The SM7 works fine with both, though I prefer it with the MPA Gold because I like to tweak the variable impedence on the MPA.

OK. So Its either

AT4040
OR
AT3035

My only question about these before i make my decision is:

Which one would function better in an untreated room. I hear the 4040 picks up a lot of detail so this might be a bad thing?

---------------------------------------------------

Preamp choices:

ART MPA Gold
or
GT Brick (only if i find a good deal)
or
M-Audio DMP-3

Interface:

Does it really matter what interface I get? I was thinking of just a $99 M-audio fast track.
If I find a good deal on a brick, I will get it. If not, 90% MPA Gold.

The 3035 is OK, not great. I've used it and found the studio projects B3 to be far superior, at around the same price. Heard good things about the 4040, but never used it.

I was just highly recommended the shure sm57 with the upgraded TAB-Funkenwerk Transformer. This could be good for an untreated room right?

But im still lost as hell about preamp. I can get a Presonus Eureka mic preamp,with a jenson tranformer for 350. (goood? bad?)

The interface, i still dont know if a good one is important. I still want to go with just a $99 one.

Last edited:
Back