2 Rode mics
plenty of mic leads
Alto L8 mixer with 4 mics - 4 line in and stereo out
M-Audio Delta 44 4 in/4 out
2 DI boxes
4 headphones

Good Computer box
CoolPro 2 (multi track) and Cubase

Now this is where I am a little confused..

What is the best flow chart for this to work using 2/3 musos to separate tracks. This is what I need to know.. How to..

1. Get the sound in to separate tracks.
Where do mics go ? to mixer or to preamp then Delta?

2. EQ and use mixer FX on sound I guess both pre record and post record for a mix

3. Headphones to each muso so they hear themselves and a regulated mix of other stuff.

4. To hear it loud via an amp.

Also, many mention a Bass Pod hear to plug straight in. What brands,models are recomended? I have a Digitech R80 Guitart modeller, they also make a bass one. Would that do?

I think that's it! For now anyways..

Would appreciate the help of what goes to where.

Thanks

Oz

2. I need

Last edited:
i'll try and help as i can..can't answer everything :D if i'm taking things to a basic level it's not cause i think you're a moron, its just to make sure you understand everything :)

ozrock said:
1. Get the sound in to separate tracks.
Where do mics go ? to mixer or to preamp then Delta?

well that's really up to you. i think that the pres in your mixer could be of dubious quality, and so getting some other pres could be useful. perhaps something along the lines of a DMP3? it depends on how much money you want to spend and what sort of quality you're after. you may find that the pres in your mixer are of a satisfactory quality for your needs...

if you get a DMP3 or something similar, you'll signal path will be mic-->pre-->delta 44. each input into the delta 44 will record to a seperate track. let's assume you're double mic'ing an acoustic gtr with a DMP3. you've have the two mics going into the DMP3, and then the output from each pre would go into a seperate input on the delta 44.

ozrock said:
2. EQ and use mixer FX on sound I guess both pre record and post record for a mix

i would suggest not doing any signal processing before recording. if you don't like the EQ setting and you tracked with it in, your only option is to re-track. i can't really see any long-term benefits from trackin with EQ/FX..

ozrock said:
3. Headphones to each muso so they hear themselves and a regulated mix of other stuff.

this is my take on how to do it:

let's assume you're trying to get 4 different 'phone mixes. set up 4 aux tracks in cubase, and assign each aux's output to be outputs 1 thru 4 of the delta respectively. on each track, set up an aux send to all 4 aux's. the aux sends will control how much of each track goes to the headphone mix. next you'll need to buy a headphone amp of some sort (such as this). patch your delta outputs to the headphone amp, so that output 1 goes to channel 1 on amp etc.

track-->(aux send)-->aux buss-->delta o/p-->headphone amp

maybe thats a little clearer!

ozrock said:
4. To hear it loud via an amp.

not quite sure what you mean here, buddy. you want to monitor through an amp? like a guitar amp?

hope this helps. i may have got the headphone mix part a bit wrong, but hopefully not.

Hey thanks a lot. You have made it clearer for me.

Didn't need much, I was just a little confused as to the pathways in and out of the comp box.

The recording is not for a final CD, mostly to put down some new songs to mess around with different arrangements before going into a 'real' studio to record them. So the quality doesn't have to be critical altho close to best as possible within a paltry budget of 'as least as possible'!

The L8 doesn't have much hiss even using the built in FX so I think it will be fine for what I need on the way out, but I think I will get other mic preamps for the way in.

I have seen some cheap Behringer headphone amps, so may look at those.

The amp is so I can 'turn up an track or the whole thing' thru some okay speakers. Then again I guess the normal out of the soundcard into an amp would be the go.

Thanks again,

I'll report back as I get things set up..

Anyone esle with suggestions welcome also..

Oz

:)

Back