Help with keyboard / softsynth setup please

The Greater God

Hello

I need some help in a decision making process for my setup. Heres a little background info on my setup. I currently own a Dell XPS 300mhz system with 320 megs of ram w/ SB Live, a Moog Rogue, Oxygen 8 (love that controller) and two guitars. Heres what I am interested in doing: I would like to run various soft synths and battery with minimum latency. I want to get really lush pads, and tweak a lot of filters also. I don't really care for multitracking with over 6 audio steams at once all I want is the lowest latency + most streams possible. Plugins are cool and all, but I would be ok with rendering them to wave or something like that instead of just running them in real time and having them eat up the CPU and system. Here's my delima:

I currently have about $500 saved up and I'll be buying all my crap when I hit $1200-$1500 (in about 2-4 weeks). For that money I could do two things:

1. Buy a Nord Lead 2 + DR 770 or 660 + an audiophile 2496
2. Buy a new AMD XP 2000+ or P4 Northwood 1.8a + ASIO interface (audiophile or the like)
3. Buy a used G4 + ASIO interface

I know that either way I go, I'll have good stuff but I'm just really uncertian. Also, if I go the CPU route, what chipset do I go (AMD/SiS735/AMD760, P4/Intel, G4) ?

If you can offer any advice, on this setup, or show me some other options which I may not even know at the moment, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

Back