Help with Headphone recommendation for live application

hawk

I need some decent cans in the $100 range. From what I've read here already, most people need them for tracking and/or mixing.

However, I need them strictly for a live application, using them as monitors. I'm mostly concerned with accuracy, comfort, and durability. The ones I'm looking at are:

Sony 7506
Sennheiser HD280
AT ATH-M40fs
AKG K240s

Of these, which would work best for my application?

Thanks a bunch!

I'll give HD280 pros a vote.

Tight bass (no hyperbass), pretty flat monitoring, and they isolate quite well.

I have used the ATH-M40fs, and the ATH-M30 which is also is the price range you mentioned. Both are very comfortable. The ATH-M40fs has a bit larger area to fit around the ear, and fits more loosely around the ear. For really long-term use, they are a bit more comfortable. The ATH-M30 is a bit lighter in weight, so short-term (60min, or less) they are a bit more comfortable.

The ATH-M30 has a bit more low-end response. I feel more of the boom from kick drum or bass instrument. Sometimes that's considered a good thing, and sometimes that's considered "hyped". I hear all of the low tones in the ATH-M40fs just fine, but there is a bit less "feel" of those tones. In some opinions that might be considered more accurate.

I can't really comment about the durability issue, because I've never dropped them, or yanked the cables, or thrown them into a road box, or any of those other kinds of things.

I give a vote on the HD 280, the AKG works nicely as well but I love my HD 280s and have used them in plenty of applications, half of the time being FoH work. The amount of isolation you get is quite nice.

Back