help with getting rid of breath/gasps on rap vocals on cubase 6 elements

MasterRS

i've tried using focusrite gate and izotope breath vsts to try and get rid of some breaths/gasps on a rap vocal. i wondered what other ways are there to get rid of them, as you never heard them loads on pro recording?

Put a volume envelope over it and just draw them out. you can continuously tweak it till it sounds natural.

ah right..i didnt think about that *slaps his head* i'll try and see if it is possible to cut the gasps out..if not then perhaps i could try the volume envelope how do i do volume envelope on cubase 6 elements? i cant find it anywhere

aah found the volume enevlope but on cubase 6 elements it only has 3 options? and they all seem to be cutting more out than just the gasps

I just manually cut the gasp out of the waveform and then fade the cut edges; Same as Jimmy.
I'm sure there are quicker automated ways, but I find that quite straight forward.

I just manually cut the gasp out of the waveform and then fade the cut edges; Same as Jimmy.
I'm sure there are quicker automated ways, but I find that quite straight forward.

I do this too, but sometime leave some bits of breaths in, it sounds more natural and more like a performance than a cut and pasted vocal.

Open the track in the wave editor (double click on the track)
Highlight the region with the breath sounds
Right click and select Process>Silence

For lead vocals, I don't like to totally eliminate vocal breaths because it sounds unnatural, so I use Gain and turn it down.

(double click on the track)
Highlight the region with the breath sounds
Right click and select Process>Silence

For lead vocals, I don't like to totally eliminate vocal breaths because it sounds unnatural, so I use Gain and turn it down.

Dude He spelt it out for you in 3 simple to follow steps.

chill do you do that in vocal envelope or where? on cubase?..im on mac and when i right click noting happens?

I don't know what is the Mac equivalent to "Right-Click". Perhaps the Cubase manual will tell you. Just find the Process menu and select Silence or Gain. Pretty straight forward.

double click on the audio (it will nearly fill the screen with a massive waveform ie editor mode chili was talking about.)
move along the waveform and find the breath parts highlight it with the mouse.
right click over the highlighted part and choose silence (probably on the mac it'll be a ctr or apple click)
i cant remember.

:eatpopcorn:

oh i see what your saying yeah i know how to do that..problem is some of he gasps go into rapping so it's difficult to time it..am going to try work it out now- this is the song Scorcher,RS,Wretch 32,Kano-It's All Love Remix - YouTube

You might be able to put some time in and get a good result, but this is a perfect example of how we learn from experience.
The real thing to take away here isn't how to fix it in post production, but how not to do it in the first place.

That's not meant to sound condescending and cheeky, It's meant to sound encouraging. :p
Both skills are good to have.

EDIT.
If you can't cut it out smoothly and you don't fancy re-recording, you could just reduce the volume of the gasp.
Sometimes I do leave breath sounds in if they sound natural. Reducing the volume might sound more natural in the end.

Back