Help! with effects sends & return

Top Jimmy

Hey Kids!

I posted this in the Fostex Forum but had no response. I guess maybe that forum is not visited that often.

Anyway. My Fostex FD-8 has two effects sends(1 and 2) it also has two effects returns(L&R 1 and L&R 2). Its seems to me that the sends are mono. Could this be? How how can I send to a effects unit with one send and return back to the mixer with left and right? When I hook this up and turn up the effect I loose the stereo effect the more I turn up the effects. If with the effects turned up I can no longer pan left or right for individual channels. Of course the manual is no help at all.

Any ideas?

TJ

Most likely, yes, it can be. You have two mono sends and two sets of stereo returns. In your case, just send one mono signal to the FX unit. Then, return the stereo output of the FX unit to L&R 1. This is all you need to do unless you want/need two different amounts of reverb on either side. In that case, send two mono signals to the FX unit.

Make sense? If not, ask another question.

I have a similar problem with my Tascam 414. Basically i've found that if you plug 2 mono lines from the sends to the ins of the effect, and 2 from the out to the board, you get the most effect and versatility.
As for actually hooking up 2 different processers in mono, I can't seem to get it.
I suspect it has to do with a stereo plug, so I bought a 2 mono to 1 stereo cord and tried it but it didn't really work.
The tascam manual is worthless when it comes to that.

Back