Help with Delta Omni box inputs please

dabluesman

I just got a PODxt and two TRS cables. I plug the TRS cables into inputs 1&2 OR 3&4 on the BACK of the Omni and plug the other end of the cables into the left & right outputs of the PODxt. Then I plug a guitar into the PODxt's input, turn the PODxt on, open Delta's mixer software and start jamming. The signal lights on the front of the Omni light up but I see nothing in Delta's mixer, however I do get sound through the headphones. I've got the faders set hard left/right, should I try putting them in the middle? I had a similar problem before due to me trying to TS cables instead of TRS, thats why I got TRS cables this time. I ended up unplugging the Omni and hooking back up the original Delta 66 breakout box. It works fine this way but I wish I could get it to work with the Omni. It does work through the mic inputs on the FRONT of the Omni, but I would prefer the line level inputs. Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it. If setting the faders to the middle position (-5 & +5, I think) doesnt work, I dont know what else to try... different TRS cables? Thanks!

The POD is unbalanced and only needs TS cables but the TRS ones you are using won't hurt.

It's probably a matter of settings in the omni.

When I talked to Delta's tech support the first time I had a similar problem, they told me the four inputs in the back of the Omni only supports TRS cables. I have two TRS cables that have XLR's on one end that I have coming from my amp which works with these inputs. I dont know if these new cables are balanced or unbalanced but maybe I got the wrong one's?

dab, do a search here on OMNI... I recall reading about some issue with their being a switch on the breakout box that is disabled by default for reasons of shipping safety... could that be it?

Ok, then thats the problem. The "TRS" cables are balanced. So the POD is not. I've never heard of a case where inputs are bal only but this would give you trouble. Does it have any unbal inputs? I think they expect you to input a balanced mixer stereo output into these inputs. Using balanced cables on an unbalanced device might be the source of your troubles but it seems strange.:confused:

dabluesman said:
When I talked to Delta's tech support the first time I had a similar problem, they told me the four inputs in the back of the Omni only supports TRS cables. I have two TRS cables that have XLR's on one end that I have coming from my amp which works with these inputs. I dont know if these new cables are balanced or unbalanced but maybe I got the wrong one's?

I'm puzzled. Why should it not work with unbalanced TS cables?
As far as I know you can put an unbalanced TS cable in a balanced TRS input any time.

From the PODxt manual:
The Output connectors are balanced 1/4-inch TRS (tip/ring/sleeve) connectors, ready to rock with pro +4dBu balanced equipment. They will also work quite happily with unbalanced -10dBV equipment and standard guitar cables. Use Left output for mono use.

When I first got the Omni, I figured the four inputs in the BACK of the box were the same as the four inputs on the front of the original Delta 66 (4x4) break out box. Well, it turns out they are not. As I mentioned before I have two xlr>trs cables going from my amp to the Omni. Are these cables balanced or unbalanced. And how do I know if the new cables I got for the PODxt are balanced or unbalanced (other than reading their specs on the box they came in.)? I can plug any cable in to the original Delta 66 breakout box and it works fine. So far with the Omni, only the amp cables work (with the back inputs) and anything I plug in to the two mic/inst inputs on the front works too.

Last edited:
TRS 1/4" cables are balanced cables if you plug them into balanced jacks on each end. They are stereo cables if you plug them into stereo jacks on each end.

Back