Help with Cubase 5 and M-Audio Axiom 25 please...

SteveK

I just picked up Cubase 5 and a M-Audio Axiom 25 MIDI keyboard. I have never done any MIDI recording before and could use a little help with the set-up. I'm doing OK with recording audio guitar tracks, but how do I get the Axiom to work as the controller for Halion or Groove Agent 1? I realize it is a mapping issue of some sort (I think :( ) If anybody could walk me through this I would REALLY appreciate it :o

Go to the "Devices" menu.
Select "VST Instruments".
On the window that pops up click one of the empty slots and select your instrument.
Then a window will pop up asking if you want to create a midi track assigned to whatever instrument you sleceted, click "Create".
The default for the input on the new MIDI channel should be "All Inputs" or you can select your specific device and channel.
Then recording is basically just like an audio track.

The instrument would be Halion/Groove Agent

Assuming you set up the USB keyboard (installed drivers etc) it should just work. Like I said the default for the input of the newly created MIDI channel is all connections, so it should pick up any MIDI device connected to your PC. If not go to the "Devices" menu and select "MIDI Device Manager". I don't remember the exact steps to set it up there but it should be fairly easy. Let me know if you have issues with that and I'll try to help.

Thank you sir! (or ma'am :)) I will give it a try as soon as I get home from work. So once I do this I should be able to hear the instrument as I'm playing/recording? Any further MIDI mapping needed?

Yup. Like I said there may be some minor MIDI setup. It's been so long since I've done it, I just know it's easy (assuming you installed the keyboard drivers etc).

Got GA up and running. Now how do I toggle between Groove Agent for one track, and Halion for the next?

Just set up another VST Instrument track with Halion.

Or you can use the same midi track and just change the output. After the instrument is set up you can change any MIDI track to use that instrument by chosing it as the output for that MIDI track.

So in this pic I set up GA and Hal and can switch between the two with the output on the MIDI track.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 202
Back