help with acoustic treatment

doulos

ok I have a question concerning acoustics and IM not to lazy to read. IM sure this has been covered if someone could point me to a link or a thread name id be happy to research it myself or even a book id buy it. Basically I started out mixing on crappy monitors in a crappy room. I recently upgraded my monitors to something a tad bit flatter mackies hr624s and also a pair of really nice headphones sennheizer hd600 im hearing a ton in my mixes i wasn’t hearing before most noticeably in the low end, now I want to treat my room. I have around 1000 I could spend on this, but ive read a lot of articles the most recent in mix this months issue that says if you don’t know what your doing wrong placement of bass traps can just make the problem worse it showed a bunch of graphs, but not how they measured or what they were looking for this is frustrating. My room is a typical back bed room 12 feet wide 14 long 8 foot ceiling with a window center on the left wall a door on the right corner and a closet in the upper right corner ive set my mix desk on the back wall for space reasons, another issue is i dont own this room so i cant mount anything permanently but spending this kind of money id like to be able to use the acoustic treatments in whatever room i move into next is this even possible? im hoping to use this space for a mix and overdub room i mostly work in other studios, but id like to be able to mix at home rather then on a studio clock i was thinking of mounting auralex studio foam to 4 by 8 sheets of peg board and laying that up behind my mix desk on the back wall but after that im lost and i know that wont help the lo end so please help thanks:)

Get some 3" rigid fiberglass. I used 10' x 4' by 1" panels and glued 3 together. I cut them so they ended up 8' x 2' x 3" Wrapped them up in some nice looking burlap and placed them in all vertical corners. You could just stand them there so as not to damage the walls. Made a big difference. I have more than this but they required being screwed to the walls.

Doulos,

> in mix this months issue that says if you don’t know what your doing wrong placement of bass traps can just make the problem worse <

I'd take that with a grain of salt. Bob Hodas is definitely an expert, but in this case I think he's wrong. For sure, there are good and bad places to put bass traps. But when put in a bad place they're just less effective than when put in a good place.

I'm glad you said you're willing to read up on this, because I have plenty to offer. See the Acoustics FAQ, second in the list on my Articles page:

www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

Also read the various acoustics articles on my company's web site. Follow the link under my name below, then find the Articles Index page.

--Ethan

thank you ethan ill read all of these and after i do i might have more educated questions thanks again :)

Back