Help with a mic decision!

hotwatertim72

Hi guys, I've been a member here for a while, just browsing. I'd like to say thanks to many of you who have helped me out so far. Right now, this is what I own, and I'm totally broke. I need help deciding on which one is best for a bass drum mic.

I have -
A. Firepod
B. P4 2.8 Ghz computer to run it with
(not that this part matters)

Mics -
A. 2 Shure SM-57's (plan on using one for snare
B. 2 MXL 990's (plan on using one or both for overhead)
C. 1 Shure Sm-58 (thought i might use that)

That's what I have at the moment, and would like to lay down some at least demo quality tracks for my band until I can afford a bass drum mic and probably some tom mics.
I plan on recording drums and bass first, and then overdubbin guitar as I dont want the guitar to get in the mics because I have no isolation, and of course because my lack of mics. I'm going to plug my bassists amp directly in with an XLR cable. I would mic it as well, but of course my lack of mics again.

Also, when I record the guitar, I plan on using one sm-57, but i was also thinking about adding one of the MXL 990's on a different part of the amp, or to get a nice room sound. Maybe I should experiment myself, but just wondering if anyone knows what kind of sound I could get.

Thanks in advance guys, in the past you've been a great help.

hotwatertim72 said:
Hi guys, I've been a member here for a while, just browsing. I'd like to say thanks to many of you who have helped me out so far. Right now, this is what I own, and I'm totally broke. I need help deciding on which one is best for a bass drum mic.

I have -
A. Firepod
B. P4 2.8 Ghz computer to run it with
(not that this part matters)

Mics -
A. 2 Shure SM-57's (plan on using one for snare
B. 2 MXL 990's (plan on using one or both for overhead)
C. 1 Shure Sm-58 (thought i might use that)

That's what I have at the moment, and would like to lay down some at least demo quality tracks for my band until I can afford a bass drum mic and probably some tom mics.
I plan on recording drums and bass first, and then overdubbin guitar as I dont want the guitar to get in the mics because I have no isolation, and of course because my lack of mics. I'm going to plug my bassists amp directly in with an XLR cable. I would mic it as well, but of course my lack of mics again.

Also, when I record the guitar, I plan on using one sm-57, but i was also thinking about adding one of the MXL 990's on a different part of the amp, or to get a nice room sound. Maybe I should experiment myself, but just wondering if anyone knows what kind of sound I could get.

Thanks in advance guys, in the past you've been a great help.

I dont know how much "broke" is, if you gave me an amount you're willing to pay for the lot, than we can narrow it down to the best quailty in the price range.
Answers will vary from person to person, but here are some recomendations:

Kick: ATM25, Audix D6, RE-20, Shure Beta52 etc.
Toms: Sennhesier e604 - 3 pack $299
Bass: If you are tracking seperate to drums, you can use the kick drum mic. e.g the Beta52.

This mic guide might help.

Good Luck with the mic choice :D

As in broke, I mean, broke, no money at all, except for rent.
If i spend that, i dont have a a house. So i'd rather wait and buy one later.
Do you any idea out of the mics i have i could use one bass and make sound decent?

Out of the mics you have i'd use the SM57 for snare and the other for kick. I've heard some pretty good results using them. The MXL 990s will do fine as O/Hs. You dont need to close mic the toms, theres alot of people on this forum who will be able to help you out with placements for minimal miking.

Since you are tracking guitar seperate you can use the SM 57 for that and you could try the 990, i havent perosnally tried it for miking an amp thou.

I am still unsure, are you tracking bass seperate from the kit? or together, if together, you could try the SM58 it'll only give you an ok sound and as you said, invest in a nice bass mic later on. You dont need to mic the bass amp, to start with if you dont have enough mics, you could just DI it. Heres a link

thanks alot bcains, you rock

I'll try the sm-57 on my bass drum. I was thinking about trying one of the mxl's but, maybe i'll try them both out. Yeah, i'm just gonna DI the bass for now, but eventually i'm gonna buy a couple audix d-6's, one for bass and for kick. thanks a lot man.

Back