Help with a Fostex 280

Dad Roadie

Hi to all,
Wanted to replace my X77 that I got rid of a while ago to go to a digital unit. Always missed not being able to record 4 tracks at once as I did with the X77. Saw a Fostex 280 on Ebay and was able to pick it up reasonably. The seller said he had not run it for a couple of years but said it worked ok.
Well I got the unit today and boy did the seller stretch the truth about the condition. The tape transport will not engage the capstan wheel (no play or record functions at all). The fast forward works but rewind doesn't . The capstan shaft is not turning. I'm not sure if it runs all the time like the Tascam units do The capstan wheel will not engage the shaft when the play or record is pressed. Really disappointing. If anyone has worked on these and has any ideals I could really use some help. I'm nervous about opening it up because of hidden screws and such. I'm sure I could check the belt and such. Anyone own one of these and have replaced the belt. No returns on the unit so if I can't get it working a guess I have another doorstop!
Thanks in advance
Dad Roadie

Back