Help wit vocal quality

Pressure225

Hello there, iv been having issues with the way my vocals have been coming into my daw, i dont have problem with mixing i have mixed various projects wich i am comfterble with, but with the project recorded somewhere else. I just recently made a pocket killin purchase on my end, and im very disapointed with the way my vocals sounds, i have been at it for a week now almost losing my MIND HERE :mad:i know my gear has potential....just need some help...

MY SET UP:
Rode Condenser mic NT2A>>
Joemeek Threeq>>>>
Behringer voice processor VX2496>>
profire 610>>>
Adobe audition

*NOTE* i use da behringer only for the gate, my window view is that of a train station.....i think u get the picture why this is necessery....i think?? HELP PLEASE

Remove the Behringer, and use the ThreeQ as a preamp only (unless you're absolutely confident of any processing you do with it on the way in, but I'd advise against it).

The gate isn't going to be a huge amount of use... I'm guessing most people go through and tidy up their takes / trim the empty space, and once the gate is open then all the noise from the train station is going to be in there with the vocal anyway.

Try to position yourself to minimize how much of the noise the mic picks up, which from the sounds of it is likely to be facing with the window with the mic facing away from the window.

Thank you i will take this into consideration. Im guessin the behringer is the reason my vocals are very muddy like, maybe to much amp??? the bass in the voice is very vompressed sounding like im hummin in every word behing it,

MY SET UP:
Rode Condenser mic NT2A>>
Joemeek Threeq>>>>
Behringer voice processor VX2496>>
profire 610>>>
Adobe audition

*NOTE* i use da behringer only for the gate, my window view is that of a train station.....i think u get the picture why this is necessery....i think?? HELP PLEASE
While it does help that you provided a list of your signal chain, it still doesn't tell us much about how you're using it. Also, if your room is noisy, crappy, echo-y, or generally un-treated, then that's where you have to start looking if you want a good sound. All the best equipment in the world can't overcome a bad room.

You do realize that a gate still lets noise through while you're singing, right???

actually,,,,u just made me look at it from that perspective...i think my room is a bit noisy but nothing too crazy.,.any advise on the compressor settings on the joemeek three q?? my outcome is a muddy mainly bass compressed which kills my sound. also when i do peak the level of the clamp on the vocal is very noticable any help??? last question,,,i seem to have this thing in my head,,where if the vocals do not come out fairly leveled to my daw its no good...am i wrong for this???

Many people compress on the way into the DAW. Many great people who have made great albums. But you have to know exactly how to use a compressor first. If there is even the tiniest bit of "should I" or "why" or "how", then don't do it.

Use a compressor in the DAW at mix time while you learn. Even after using the compressor, don't expect the vocal to be perfectly level. Use manual or automated fader moves to level it exactly where you want it.

Thank you i will take this into consideration. Im guessin the behringer is the reason my vocals are very muddy like, maybe to much amp??? the bass in the voice is very vompressed sounding like im hummin in every word behing it,

I moved the replies from your other thread to here and deleted the other thread. Please don't double post. Find the appropriate forum to ask your questions and post it only once. Thanks!!

Cool!! :cool:

And hear is an other guess....you may be just a tad to close to the mic while singing/recording and getting a bit to much bass responce. give yourself about a foot with that rode.

Back