help! wht's the right stuff for recording a whole rock band at once?

kenoir

Hi all!

Now I wanted to record some band stuff, people around here are really busy, so I want them to come in, lay the tracks and leave the place to do their own work, while I work with their recorded materials.

I want to try to record everything in one take, however, I didn't thought of doing that as I buy my audio stuff. So I'm struggling to do what I want to do this moment.

I have a yamaha MG16/2 16 trks, 2 mono group, aux send, phone out as the outputs. On the other side, I have a ESI 1010 which got 8 anologue in out and 2 digital in out. Only channel 1 and 2 get phatom power.

Now I have multiple mics for my drum set and it's so stuck up that I couldn't have the sound getting in right in the beginning of the signal chain, so how am I going to manipulate it EQs of the drum mics "IF MY HELLA MIXER GOT ONLY SO FEW GROUP OUTPUT LIKE THAT"? I understand that mic placement is vital, but I just couldn't stand with keep tweaking the position of the mics since I couldn't monitor them all at once when the room is small and the monitor is in the same room as all the equipments. (I record it one by one and listen to it, and u guess it, forget it after it stop playing)

If I want a carefree approach to change it into digital "for the sake of getting things sound like dynamics and eq sound right at the beginning of the chain", which shold I consider?

Should I get a digital mixer like 01v or 02R? Which is nicer? If the price of a well used 02R is currently the same price as a brand new 01v, will it be good to take it home?

Or should I think about getting a DAW like roland vs2000, vs2400 or WG2400

Or a digital mixer + midi controller like 01X? This will let me get the benefit of having it as a midi controller, cool for my soft synth. But can this 01X do a bit live sound reinforcement like the real digital mixer do?

Too much questions from me, but thanks a lot of reading.

Kenoir

this is a really confusing post, but i would suggest using no more than 4 mics on a drumkit if you're recording live. if you're not skilled you will get overwhelming phase issues if you mic the whole kit

If I understand you, you need to record bands with a fast and efficient set-up. I have done a few live shows, so I'd suggest: either a single overhead, or x/y pair, right over the drummer's head. Mic the kick just inside the hole, pointed across, but not at, the beater. Put a 57 on the snare top, about 1" off the head, an inch or so in from the rim, and pointed at the impact point. Close mic guitar cabs at the outside edge of the cone, at about a 45 degree angle, aimed away from the dust cap, and any loud sources you want to exclude. Mic the bass cab with an appropriate mic, aim straight at the middle of the cone (not the cap) about 12" back. Alternatively, use a DI (I prefer SansAmp), and keep the bass sound in the headphones, to eliminate bleed. Run the vocals into the phones, and I'd suggest using them as scratches, and overdubbing them after the instrumentation is done. If anybody goofs, set up punch points in the offending track(s), and re-record with the whole band playing the section, to ensure whatever bleed you have to deal with is consistent.

If the band has their poo together, you can set up, record three or four songs, and break down, in 4-6 hours, easy.

I know the above violates all the "don't set mics by sight," and "use your ears" rules, but if time or live monitorng conditions dictate, you will have usable stuff, if not exactly ideal.

Thanks all:

And sorry, I didn't meant to confuse you guys, that's how well my gramma can go. It's not like a live show actually, but a recording session. I state it wrongly on the topic.

Actually 4 mics for drums, 2 for guitars, 1 for vocal, that's all I need. But I would like to try putting extra mics to get a fuller sound of how the drum sounds like, such as adding a mic underneath the snare, the rim of the snare, a mic outside the bass drum, closed and open mic for the guitar amps etc. (Sort of experimentation)

However, I have 2 problems here

1st - Before recording - I wouldn't be able to tweak the sound coming in precisely with the onboard 3 band EQ, since no sweepable mid freq is built on it.

2nd - After recording - I have a problem of running out of groups for tracking all the channels individually. So that made me losing the ability to control the tone of the recorded signal, for example, if the sound of the bass drum is too loud, I can't tweak the EQ of it in my computer, since if I tweak the EQ, it's going to apply to the complete track. All the other part is going to have an increased bass. So do the situation of adding effects.

So I've listed a few digital mixer which could possibly solve the problem. Since they are digital, they can have a more adjustable EQ (after I placed the mic properly but still want a specific tone that's not yet achieve) and also more group which let me to get the sound into the recording computer one by one instead of the combined stereo signal like now.

However I don't know whether they will really help, but just need some advice from you talents.

Thank you

Kenoir

kenoir said:
Do this method have particular advantage or disadvantage?

It's ok, I got a bad reputation by someone saying that I don't know what am I doing. He's right, I don't know, therefore I ask. I guess that's what newbies are hanging around in this bbs for, isn't it?

Also I'm not saying that I'm going to do anything about money in this post. But is it fair to just get some meal for foing a recording for a band? I didn't start off thinking I have to get paid, but I start off for the sake that I want to record and mix, don't misunderstood me plz

If you know the solution, give me some advice. If you not gonna do that, do blame me at being a nurd knowing nothing! I will be very appreciate for that!

Thanks a lot!

Kenoir

mshilarious said:
So don't use the EQ or the groups. Tap the inserts for direct outs on 8 channels.

This is your answer..

You should be able to tap into the channel inserts on the 8 mono mic input channels of the mixer by plugging a cable in to the first click, then plug those 8 cables into the 8 analog inputs of your sound interface, giving you 8 separate tracks of recording.

i'd say......

one excellent room
3 excellent pre-amps
one slammin' binaural head
one vox mic of your choice
proper placement of instruments in the room. (players, and amps)

BLAM!

02R (or 02R96) is a great desk, I've used it a lot. Going digital definetly makes for quick setups, since you can save everything the way you like it, and basically hit one button and go. That's good if you're alwasy going to be using the same kit, with the same setup, and know what you want things to sound like.

Back