Help w/ small dia. condenser choices..

CUSETOWN

I'm looking to get and all around decent pair for acoustic guitars, instruments ie; cello, clarinet, overheads etc.. The key here is multi-purpose..

I understand that seems like alot to ask considering the mics I'm listing.. But nevertheless, these are in the $ range I'm looking to spend. Feel free to make suggestions in the same neighborhood..

Heres what I'm looking at: (In order of price)

Behringer ecm8000 $80/pr
Samson C02 $119/pr
Superlux SMK-H8K $139/pr (same mic?)
Studio Projects B1 $158/pr (I know, not smal dia, but ...?)
Oktava mk012 $200/pr? (or less)
MXL 603S $200/pr
Rode NT5 $299/pr

Others I looked at but are a little steep for the wallet right now are..
Rode nt3 $358/pr
Studio Projects C4 $369/pr

Thanks in advance for your input and advice!

Out of all the mics you listed (and for what you want them for), I suggest either the MXL603SPR or Oktava MC-012. I've read good things about the C4's... but, I've never used them myself before. I've also never used the Superlux SMK-H8K before either.

You can probably get the Oktavas for $99 pair at GC or at the most $149 pair. These would be my first choice for your applications and your budget.

I'm interested in the NT5 pair. Anybody have any user experience with them? Harsh, over-bright, ???

Re: ..

CUSETOWN said:
I called gc today & they quoted me $200 for the pair of oktavas..? :(

perhaps the sale is over, but i got my pair for $100, and i know of plenty of people who did the same. you ought to be able to talk the GC guy down to $100, or at the most $150.

justin

Re: ..

CUSETOWN said:
I called gc today & they quoted me $200 for the pair of oktavas..? :(

When dealing with GC, you have to do your research, know what you are talking about, and then go in and tell them what you are willing to pay. Don't ask the sales boobs what the price is. If you check their past sales catalogs you will find that they have sold pairs for $99 and $149, the latter quite often. When I bought mine I told them I would buy one MC012 and a DMP3 for $200 out the door ($72 + $119 + tax). They did it.

I never pay their asking price on equipment. For example, my Hafler/KRK monitoring system had a GC price of $600. I walked out the door for $425. If the sales boobs are unhelpful, or when I hear the first "no" out of the sales boob's mouth, I politely ask for the department manager or store manager. That'll usually get them moving in the right direction.

The Key is you must know what you are doing when you go in there.

For small condensers, the Oktava MC012's are your best bet in their price range.

The Behringer ECM8000's are actually pretty damn good, but you need a nice preamp to really hear what they can do.

If it's really for multi-purpose, I still think a pair of SP B1's or mulit-pattern B3's will run rings around any mics you have on that list.

Dan Richards
The Listening Sessions
The Project Studio Handbook

I recently purchased a matched pair of 603's in case with shockmounts for $200. The Oktava's from GC are not matched, and are notorious for being difficult to find a pair that are close to each other. As in, WILDLY variant.

My 603's are probably going to do double duty; for drum OH's, and acoustic guitars. They haven't shown up yet, so I haven't had a chance to use them.

But all reviews indicate they should be suitable for these purposes; and hey, it's a matched pair for $200.

Chris

I do have a pair of Rode NT5 and I love them. What you put into them is what you get. Very accuratly reproduces the sound of acoustic instruments. Well worth the $300.00. I Didnt notice any harshness that a few other people complained about. Great mics, dont even think twice about getting a pair.

I ran the numbers on SDC with some restricting criteria: 1) no electrets, 2) sensitivity > 10mV

Very little is left: AT4049, AT4051, C480B, KM-18x, NT4, NT5, C4

Only the C4, C480B, and AT4049/51 have multiple capsules for pattern changes.

It looks like the NT5 pair is a real winner in the value end. the C480B are about $650 each, and the AT are about $500 each.

I don't believe that's an electret. I'm pretty sure that the KSM32 is a 'true' condenser.

Chris

To me, electrets are the mark of low budget/cost reduced mics. If I'm going to pony up the cash for an expensive mic, I don't want an electret. YMMV.

The KSM32 is.. both! The Shure data sheet shows it as both an externally biased 1" diaphragm, then later in the same data sheet shows it as "permanently biased (electret)." Go figure.

Rip Rowan reviewed this mic and claims it is an electret.

Link to Review

I'll echo the votes for the MC012's.

Go to GC, tell them exactly what you want.

Get the salesman to commit to a price before you try any of them out, then...

Have him bring out every one he's got. Then tell him to leave you alone for a while.

Go to the thread that's stuck to the top of this board and check out Harvey's advice on how to "match" a pair of mics while standing in the store. Print that section and take it with you.

Start going through their inventory until you find 2 that are pretty close.

That's what I did. Took about 2 hours. I won't claim that they are Sound Room "matched", but they sound pretty close to me.

The other nice thing about the 012 is the fact that you can buy hypercardioid and omni heads for them, and, if you're REALLY looking for something obscure, Harvey swears by the 012 with the LOMO LDC head. I've never heard one, but what I've read has been very positive.

It's no great secret that GC buys the bottom of the barrel with Oktava mics.

Wouldn't it be worth it to spend a bit more and get inspected models from Sound Room?

thanks

Thanks for all the replies..
Now I'm in a pickle... Because theres no place in town that sells the mk012's.. So doing a live matching of 2 is'nt gonna happen without a long drive to rochester.. Or buying from that site that sells matched pairs at 3x the price.. Soooooo.. maybe I'll just get one mk012 & a matched pair of the mxls... I've read a few good things about them... I really only need a matched pair for overheads or xy stereo recording.. Right? I assume (I know it makes an ass out of me) it's cool to have 2 different mics all together on the neck & bridge of a guitar for instance.. Am I wrong? Let me know, 99.9 of my experience is recording vocals & midi tracks. So any guidance is appreciated!

Thanks again!

bgavin said:
I'm interested in the NT5 pair. Anybody have any user experience with them? Harsh, over-bright, ???
I have a pair of NT5's and they are darker than the MXL603's and closer to the Oktava MC-012's as far as bright/dark goes.

Back