Help w/ 48khz files that are actually 44.1

Booda

Master of the Obvious
I have 2 tunes w/ files that were recorded at 44.1 but the PC sees them as 48khz

Story Line...
A session I recorded last week w/ only 7 tracks. (4Drums, Bass, 2Keys)
I used a Template in Cubase SX that was set to record at 48khz 24bit.
After 2 jams I realized that my Lucid Converters were set at 44.1... so I set up another Project file w/ the correct settings... so the last 2 jams were recorded at 44.1 and are fine.

Mixing
The files play back fine through the same chain as long as the Lucid is the Clock... but when I Mix em down from 48 to 44.1 stereo file, they play too fast.

My Solution (so Far)
I tried importing the Wav. Files into a new project, w/ the project setup as a 44.1 24 bit.
When importing each file Cubase asks if a new file should be made, I say Yes. There is an option to convert the Sample Rate when importing, I say No.
So... the files show up in the Pool as 48khz but the project is set up for 44.1, it all seems to play and sound fine.

When I mix it down it also sounds fine, since I'm not changing the sample rate.

So what's the problem? I don't know... does this sound like the best way to go about this? Do I have other options?

Thanks for any help or explanations,
B.

I have 2 tunes w/ files that were recorded at 44.1 but the PC sees them as 48khz

Story Line...
A session I recorded last week w/ only 7 tracks. (4Drums, Bass, 2Keys)
I used a Template in Cubase SX that was set to record at 48khz 24bit.
After 2 jams I realized that my Lucid Converters were set at 44.1... so I set up another Project file w/ the correct settings... so the last 2 jams were recorded at 44.1 and are fine.

Mixing
The files play back fine through the same chain as long as the Lucid is the Clock... but when I Mix em down from 48 to 44.1 stereo file, they play too fast.

My Solution (so Far)
I tried importing the Wav. Files into a new project, w/ the project setup as a 44.1 24 bit.
When importing each file Cubase asks if a new file should be made, I say Yes. There is an option to convert the Sample Rate when importing, I say No.
So... the files show up in the Pool as 48khz but the project is set up for 44.1, it all seems to play and sound fine.

When I mix it down it also sounds fine, since I'm not changing the sample rate.

So what's the problem? I don't know... does this sound like the best way to go about this? Do I have other options?

Thanks for any help or explanations,
B.

If it works, don't fix it.

Going form 48 to 44.1 is difficult and sounds pretty bad to me, aside from the pitch problems you are having.

I would re-record the the downmix to convert to 44.1. So run you mix out of a stereo pair on your interface and record the mix on something else. Maybe another computer running at 44.1, a reel-to-reel that is good working order and then dump that back into the computer, anything that sounds good.

Its not normally the best of ideas to convert back and forth like this, unless you have great converters, but i would make an exception in this case.

good luck.

My Solution (so Far)

It sounds as though Cubase is doing just what you'd want it to, which is changing the headers on the audio files or otherwise ignoring them, instead of processing for SRC.

What you had in the first place was the result of a rather common mistake, recording into a DAW set to record at one rate, while clocked to a source running at another. The 'fix' generally is to find something that can change the headers on the audio files so that they reflect what sample rate they were actually clocked with when recording, and then import them into another session, set to the proper sample rate, to work with them.

If Cubase didn't get you to functioning as it seems to have, I would have suggested doing a batch process with Audiofile Engineering's Sample Manager where you apply SRC, but with the "resample" checkbox deselected, as this results in a simple header-change too.

Cheers,
-dave

Back