HELP! Updating the FAQs....

moskus

The Creator of Æ, Ø and Å
Okay, in two weeks I start my vacation, and will use some of it updating the Cakewalk FAQ, and make an english homepage.

BUT it's been quite some time since I've updated the FAQs and people have been telling me what to put in there. But I don't remember any more...

Clearly the DirectX 9 issue needs to be adressed. Thanks Dachay! Can you think of anything else?

James, have you made any new tutorials in the past 3 months?

What about you, BluesMeister? Pedullist, Toki, Paul?

GIVE ME SOME FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS, PEOPLE! :)

http://home.no.net/magnesiu/cakewalkfaq/

I'm gonna keep this thread alive untill everyone of the frequently visitors have given me at least 3 FAQs...

Well I'm just a newbie but will be learning about HS2004 & external synths real soon. I'm real excited about this, but still a bit concerned/confused about using Midi.

Maybe you can add a topic about Midi & external synths, or something along those lines.

Thanks to all for the willingness to share your knowledge here in this forum.

Robert

Q1. Why is moskus' knee a frequent topic of conversation in the Cakewalk forum?

Ans. Moskus' knee is very fat and out of proportion to the rest of his skinny body. Homerec regulars feel an overwhelming need to discuss this whenever nothing else is going on on the BBS (which is generally most of the time).

Q2. Should moskus consider joining a freak circus on account of his malformed knee?

Ans. Well that is really up to moskus.

Q3. Does the knee hinder his ability to use Sonar?

Ans - Not really, but he does tend to have difficulty installing new PCI cards because when he kneels on the floor he is unbalanced and tilts to the left.

-------------------

That's my three! :D :D :D

moskus said:
Then get working! :mad:

OK, if you insist.

Q1. How come I hear an echo when I record.

A1. Most likely this is due to having Input Monitoring enabled and also having too high a latency setting. You can fix this by either disabling Input Monitoring, or lowering your latency settings (assuming your CPU/Sound Card will allow for a lower setting).

Q2. What is latency?

A2. In short, it is the amount of time required for your computer to process a signal and deliver it to the sound card. Today, with a good sound card, WDM or ASIO drivers, and a fairly recent vintage CPU, latency settings of under 5 ms are achievable.

Q3. How do I determine what my actual latency is?

A3. In Sonar go to Options -> Audio -> General. At the bottom of the page you will see a section labeled Mixing Latency. Check in that section under the heading Effective Latency at 44kHz/Stereo: XXX msec.

Q4. Why does moskus have a fat knee?

A4. Move along Sonny, you're bothering me.

:D

I don't know how to say this without hurting any feelings, but, as generous and helpful and nice as James Argo is, his skills at English are somewhat blurry. (But you are way better than a lot of native speakers are, James, believe me!) It makes his FAQ entries much less helpful than they could be. They need some simple editing.

dachay2tnr said:
Why does moskus have a fat knee?
When soft knee just won't do, grab the highly-touted "moskus compressor" with new fat knee algorithm. ;) :D

not that I have any idea what this knee joke is about but wanted to play along too :)

AlChuck said:
I don't know how to say this without hurting any feelings, but, as generous and helpful and nice as James Argo is, his skills at English are somewhat blurry. (But you are way better than a lot of native speakers are, James, believe me!) It makes his FAQ entries much less helpful than they could be. They need some simple editing.

:D Nothing perfect comes free, my man :D
Anyway, it's true what Chuck said :) Sometimes I readed my post again, and thought... "hey, why didn't I wrote this way.... " :rolleyes: It's good someone finally comes up with an idea to edit it in propher way :) Go ahead, feel free to edit some words if necessary to the FAQ project :)

;)
Jaymz

Moskus, these are my humble suggestions:

1) In Piano Roll view, I copied bars one and two and pasted them at bars three and four. Now when I change one of the notes in bar four, it changes the note in bar two. What's going on?

A) When you copied the two bars (or clip as it is known) CakeWalk assumes you want them pasted as Linked Clips. You can unlink the clips as you paste them by un-checking a tick box - or you can Select the clips and Unlink them in the properties dialogue box. So next time you change one note, the corresponding note in the other clip remains unaffected.

2) I’m composing a MIDI drum track and want to get a particular drum sound where the snare drum is hit with both sticks but you can tell it’s two hits. How do I do that?

A) If you have Snap To Grid enabled it’s not very difficult. In Piano Roll View and using the Pencil selector click on the PR at the point where you want the snare double-hit. Now click on the instrument directly above the snare immediately above the same point on the PR. It may be a cymbal or handclap. Right click on the diamond shape and change the note’s position. It is shown something like [03:2:000] That tells you it’s Measure 3, beat 2. Change the 000 to 070. You will notice the diamond moves slightly to the right. You can now drag the diamond down so that it is a snare drum hit and you can see the two diamonds slightly overlapping. You can change the 070 until you get precisely the desired timing of the double hit.

3) I’ve got a SoundBlaster audio card and I just recorded a tune playing my guitar to a MIDI backing track. It starts off OK but towards the end of the song my guitar starts lagging behind the beat quite noticeably. What’s going on?

A) The audio card resampling the recording probably causes it. Some Creative audiocards are locked at 48kHz internal sampling rate. If CakeWalk is set to 44kHz sampling rate, the card has to re-sample on the fly. The resampling causes the drift in synchronisation. Sometimes it isn’t noticeable and won’t cause you any grief. The best option is to set your CakeWalk to the same sampling rate as the card, 48kHz. This will probably fix the problem. But you can’t resample your existing performance, you’ll have to record it again to fix the drift.

I would appreciate it if the rest of you good chaps could verify the level of my accuracy :)

--
BluesMeister

I'll get one in here and there.

I was trying to figure out on my own for a while until Sonar 2 Power! helped me out.

The default one is 2 audio and 2 midi files. I manually deleted the midi files each time I started a new project.

1. How do you set your own template?

2. What are envelopes and How do you use them?

3. What are the best reasons to use loops?

And here's a question that's probable not an FAQ but:

If I recorded a sound clip of music, is there a way to reset/move the ruler to a point in the wave file that actually gets the sound clip into the right beat?

kt

Back