HELP: Tremendous Line Noise at Home Recording

Lidugee

I am getting back to songwriting and music in general, and have recently purchased a Roland Fantom, BOSS BR-1180 and peripherals. I am getting so frustrated at the tremendous amount of line noise (hum and worse) that I am generating. I've tried changing outlets, seperating equiptment to different outlets, and bought noise reduction surge protectors, but nothing is working. I'm sure I'm just ignorant on the subject and one of you 'smart' folks would be able to help me.

Thanks!

Lift the grounds on each piece of equipment until you find the offending piece.

It isn't safe especially if the equipment is in a metal case, but sometimes it's neccesary.

Thanks

Thanks for the response. I actually figured out that the 'remote' outlet I was using for the BR-1180 had the refrigerator on it! I purchased some noise reduction outlet strips and moved to another wall outlet. Seems to be working.

Much appreciated.

Glad you found the cause. Usually you want to put all connected devices on the same outlet to avoid ground loops. Putting them on different outlets can make the problem worse.

Cool!

Thanks so much for the comment. That's interesting, because I did end up with everything on the same outlet extension. I guess that was also part of the problem.

I must say, that this site has been very helpful! Any other tips for digital home recording...I'm all ears!

- Doug

A great tip from LittleDog is to plug the fridge into a surge suppressor. That will help keep the power spikes from hitting everthing else in the house whenever it kicks on.

TexRoadkill said:
A great tip from LittleDog is to plug the fridge into a surge suppressor. That will help keep the power spikes from hitting everthing else in the house whenever it kicks on.

I actually plug my computer into a battery backup ... which is a power conditioner by virtue of how it works. I plug my monitor (PC) into the surge protector of the same unit, as I do any keyboards, etc. I have on ... battery backup manufacturer is picky about what what is "safe" to plug into the battery portion, but the surge is fair game for most things.

Seems to work ... I was working one day when the power temporarily went out, like a second -- I didn't lose my session, which of course was a good thing. So, I am sold on the value of a battery backup.

Back