help the noob

warrengtype

I'm still relatively new to the whole home recording thing, and I really only do it for my own fun... but I'd still like to hear some critique/suggestions/ideas from people who know a thing or two.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/warrengtypemusic.htm

So if ya don't mind and have a couple minutes of your life to waste then check out the first song on the list there, a rockin' cover of "maybe I'm amazed". Tell me what's good and what's bad, and what could be done to make it better.

It'd be much appreciated.

*edit*
An alternate link for people who don't like soundclick:
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=4510&alid=-1

Last edited:
Wow, I think it sounds really good. The vocals should be turned up. Also, the snare is pumping out way too many overtones (dunno how you could fix this via the mixing stage, but maybe take out some mids or something. It sounds really good, just ugh... those overtones!). It could also be turned down a little bit. Other than that, I'm pretty impressed.

How did you record this? I'm loving the guitar sound, and the drums sound great (with the small snare exception). Real nice kick sound! Are they sampled?

Wow, I'm with rweiss. I'd bring up the vocals and lead guitar (both sound a little thin in the mix), otherwise it's nice just the way it is. I'm a big beatles fan, so I'm impartial. :D

thanks guys. based on your suggestions I brought the snare down and took out some of the mids. brought the vocals up a tad (I hate my voice so it's hard for me to do that) and the solo up a bit too. (the only thing is now I can hear a mistake in the rhythm towards the end of the solo, but I'll fix that later when I have the time...)

those drum sounds are sampled, the kick, snare and toms all came from adobe. they're part of the package you get when you buy adobe audition 1.5. I imported them into fruity loops to sequence them.

and I like it when people say they like my guitar sound, cause it's a pretty cheap and easy set up. it's just a digitech rp300 ran straight into the ol' computer box. I have my own patch that I use, and for this I just recorded the rhythm part twice and then panned each one 100% to opposite sides.

thanks for taking the time to comment.

I thought it was a cool cover. Heavy garage rock of the Beatles. Well done. The voice fits the music, use it. How do you record your voice? Sounds better than mine! Anyway, good job. I liked it alot.
Ed

Dogman said:
I thought it was a cool cover. Heavy garage rock of the Beatles. Well done. The voice fits the music, use it. How do you record your voice? Sounds better than mine! Anyway, good job. I liked it alot.
Ed

Just a technicality ... but "Maybe I'm Amazed" is solo Paul ... not Beatles.

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet (I have dial-up so it takes me a while), but I'll check it out soon.

famous beagle said:
Just a technicality ... but "Maybe I'm Amazed" is solo Paul ... not Beatles.

Yes, thank you for reminding me - I hate Paul's solo stuff - but I like this cover. :rolleyes:

Dogman said:
Ed

Thanks sir, the vocals are all done with a shure sm57 ran into a cheapo behringer mixer. I just crank it up, hold the mic several inches from my face and scream my head off like a madman. Then I put compression on it, I use the "8:1 vocal compression" preset in adobe audition.

I enjoyed that, and I also liked Sgt. Pepper's and BSDropout. I hope you take this as the compliment that I intend it to be, but I'm thinking that it's what Adam Sandler or the guy from Crash Test Dummies might sound like after too much caffeine. I wish I had that kind of character in my voice. Nice guitar too.

Don

Bugeye said:
I enjoyed that, and I also liked Sgt. Pepper's and BSDropout. I hope you take this as the compliment that I intend it to be, but I'm thinking that it's what Adam Sandler or the guy from Crash Test Dummies might sound like after too much caffeine. I wish I had that kind of character in my voice. Nice guitar too.

Don

Haha! Thanks, man. I like that. At first I didn't really get the crash test dummies thing, but then I went back and listened to the beauty school drop out preview and I heard it. I DO kinda sound like a rushed version of him on that. I haven't been compared to other people much, one other guy I played sgt pepper's for said I sounded like a "pissed off paul mccartney", which I also thought was pretty cool.

But anyway, thanks for taking the time to comment, and for the compliments.

wow

wow, if you're just doing this for fun, then i'm just in the wrong business.
this sounds like something i would work for weeks on, overall really nice mix, vocals could carry the song maybe you should let them a little more...
your shredding is just terrific, i listened three times all the way through, just went through a "beatallica" kick, so i'm feeling it.
anyway, great job, sounds like you squeezed every bit of quality sound from everything from guitar to computer and mixed with care.

nice

Thanks cap'n, that was nice of ya to say. I really dig beatallica too, those guys are fantastic. And I have to be honest with you, that particular cover came together really, really fast. I already knew the chords because I used to play and sing that song for fun. Once I decided to do it, I sequenced the drums and recorded the guitars and bass all in one afternoon. Then the next afternoon I did the vocals. It just all fell in to place really easy.

As far as the mix, I think I'm just getting better with each try. I thnk if you listen to the other things I have on soundclick you can definately hear the difference as I started and slowly got a little better each time. At this point I have a good idea of what works with the equipment I have.

But uh, you guys have me jazzed with the compliments. I'm all energized and motivated to keep doing more stuff now. So thanks for that.

Normally I'm not fan of re-treating classics, that is unless you can do something fresh with it, and you've succeeded here. This has always been one of my favorite songs, especially the guitar lead; I love what your guy did with it.

Great mix, right up in your face.

Thanks guys. I'm a huge fan of the original too, it's always been one of my all time favorites.

And just for the record, all the parts are performed by me. Just for the record. I'm "my guy". ;)

No seriously, that sounds like Beatallica. Google them, its these guys who did their own version of the Beatles songs, but they sound just like Metallica.

seansigep said:
No seriously, that sounds like Beatallica. Google them, its these guys who did their own version of the Beatles songs, but they sound just like Metallica.

You mean the beatallica that was recently hit with a cease and desist order? The beatallica that Lars Ulrich contacted to try and help them settle it, because he's a fan? That beatallica?

Yeah, I think I may have heard of em...;)

They were definately an inspiration, but I wasn't trying to combine metallica and the beatles. I was just making a paul mccartney tune sound more like my own style. But as I said above, I'm a fan of those guys too.

Back