HELP!! The manuals are dizzying

tweedledee

too many manuals, too much termanology too much itzy bitzy print...can someone help me fugure out what to read first?

oh no...i thought i had all my gear...now i need a bike too? :confused: :p :p

seriously true, you have been rather helpful till now. can you give me some guidance?

tweedledee said:
too many manuals, too much termanology too much itzy bitzy print...can someone help me fugure out what to read first?

What are you trying to accomplish? You didn't say.

I was talking to a guitarist friend - he and I have been musician's and involved in recording since the late 60's/early 70's (I don't recall exactly when - it's all a little fuzzy :D )

We were lamenting that back then you could pretty much plug in, hit the record button and play.

Now we need to spend an hour reading a manuel every time we want the gear to execute some new function :confused:

I feel your pain!

tweedledee said:

take all the manuals, throw them in the middle of the floor, mess them around for a little while...blindfold yourself, have someone spin you around five times, reach in and grab a manual.

Read that one first.
Don't understand the terminology....look for a glossary in the book or go here.

i am trying to learn how to get all the hese components to work together as a studio and i can't make sense of all the instructions.the software manula makes refferences to things i suppose i should know about the mixer, the mixer tells you waht to do with the software, the mixer manual sorta describes all the buttons and dials and yet nothing happens when i push any of them. so far i have 3 beginners manuals, 3 refference manuals and 2 huge books to read and i am really overwhelmed by all of it.

tweedledee said:
i am trying to learn how to get all the hese components to work together as a studio and i can't make sense of all the instructions.the software manula makes refferences to things i suppose i should know about the mixer, the mixer tells you waht to do with the software, the mixer manual sorta describes all the buttons and dials and yet nothing happens when i push any of them. so far i have 3 beginners manuals, 3 refference manuals and 2 huge books to read and i am really overwhelmed by all of it.

You really need to hire someone to come and help you set things up and get going, and to help you through the process.

But I sense you won't go that route.

Find out the MINIMAL setuyp you can create out of what you have, read THSOE manuals over and over, cross referencing them between themselves.

When you get THAT working, add the extras.

fraserhutch said:
You really need to hire someone to come and help you set things up and get going, and to help you through the process.

But I sense you won't go that route.

Find out the MINIMAL setuyp you can create out of what you have, read THSOE manuals over and over, cross referencing them between themselves.

When you get THAT working, add the extras.
i was just thinking about hiring someone today today. i just don't knwo who to ask.
getting the minimal going is exactly what i am triying to do. :( :confused:

Instead of littering this board with vague questions on how to learn how to set up a "studio", why don't you list your gear and ask specific questions?

Unless you're another troll, of course.

Read your post again and think how you would answer. You have given us no information to work with. We only know you have a mixer and some software. The more detailed and clear information you can provide, the better your answer.

Your original post is kind of like: I need to know how to get home, and I want to get there quick.

Well, how about telling us where you are now, what vehicle you have, and where your home is.

there are a lot of people here willing to help, but you have to meet us half way.

fraserhutch said:
Instead of littering this board with vague questions on how to learn how to set up a "studio", why don't you list your gear and ask specific questions?

Unless you're another troll, of course.
well i might be a troll.....my plastic surgeon will have to fix that. :D

here is my gear. cubase le
mic
yamaha portable grand keyboard
multimix8 firewire mixer/interface
my source of trouble today was that i followed all the instructions in all the manuals and could not get my computer to pick up any sound from the mic and i dunno if it's the mic, the drvers, the connection, the interface or my brain that's the trouble. then i tries loading soem new styles into my keyboard and while it says it loaded properly when i go to the styles section there it is not there.
this is only part of it. i am a cunfuzzled mess.

i would start with do you get sound out of the sound card in cubase ?

are the sound card inputs and out put set up properly ,have you selected the input and output on the recording channel ,

have you clicked the record button on the channel and the round button at the side of it to hear what it is recording.

does the mic need phantom power to make it work ?
what mic is it ?

the more info you can give us the easier it will be to track down the problem :)

Back