help synching?

stainlessbrown

I have a TSR8- a PPS-2 synch and a Digi 002R/8.0 PTLE

I've striped the tape- signal level is good, no bleed onto 7- The PPS-2 see's the synch signal

PT sees the "Motor Control" under Midi, and it doesn't give me any errors that it can't communicate with it (although I had to assign it on port 1 , and move my Euphonic surfaces to 2 and 3 for that error to stop happening)

Synch is set to "Machine chases memory locations"

Session Set-up window shows

Session start: 00:00:00:00 (and I've tried setting it to 10 seconds , 20 seconds....)

incoming time is 00:00:00:00

time code rate is 30

feet+ frames 24

SYNCH setup and time code offsets

MMC 00:00:00:00

THE LINKbox is checked to Satellite 00:00:00:00

sample offset 0

Time code settings- choices are 'Using Peripheral' a box which has an 8 (default... and i've changed it)... and last "Jam Synch" none of the 3 seems to change anything

I can't find any other places to change settings?

anybody see anything obvious that I'm missing?

I'm not sure this is the right forum because if the PPS2 is seeing the timecode then the "analog" part is working. I'd help but it seems your issues are with configuring PT and I can't help with that.

I'm assuming you have the PPS2 connected to the 002 via MIDI cable yes?

The PPS2 converts the SMPTE timcode striped on the TSR-8 to MIDI timecode and then PT is to chase incoming MTC. There should be a place to set the clock source and that clock should be set to incoming present on whatever MIDI port the PPS2 is connected to on the 002.

yes- midi cables in/out from PPS-2 to 002R

my only choices that I can find for clock source is

internal, SPDIF, or optical ADAT or SPDIF

I've tried all three striping format options MTC, DTL and FSK- even though the PPS-2 manual says the MTC is for Digidesign

The 002R only has 1 MIDI in and 2 Midi out - so not many choices

The Euphonix use midi ports, despite being ethernet devices, but I've de-activated them in the set-up completely

my only choices that I can find for clock source is

internal, SPDIF, or optical ADAT or SPDIF

I've tried all three striping format options MTC, DTL and FSK- even though the PPS-2 manual says the MTC is for Digidesign

Wait...

Are those the clock sources for the 002, or the clock sources for PT?

And NONE of those striping formats will work to sync...the TSR-8 should be striped with SMPTE timecode, and PT will likely want either MTC or FSK to be streaming out of the PPS2.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you.

the 002R set up is through ProTools- there are no physical switches on the 002R - for clock source or bit rate or freq

According to the PPS-2 I have to select one of the 3 choices (MTC, DTL or FSK) so the SMPTE striped to the tape is read correctly

according to the manual (in bold print actually) "To generate SMPTE, it is not necessary hook up any sequencer"

The SMPTE is generated at 30 frames per second (non-drop), starting at 00:00:00:00

Do you think the PPS-2 is the problem? Several folks suggested it when i laid out my scenario

No...not the PPS-2...If the audio in on the PPS-2 is connected to the output for track 8, and the MIDI out of the PPS-2 is connected to the MIDI IN on the 002 then that is all golden. And I would expect that you want the PPS-2 set to MTC...I don't have a PPS-2 either, so please excuse me if I take you on a rabbit trail...and I'm partial to slaving the tape deck anyway and leaving the DAW as the sync master (which you can't do with the PPS-2), but that MTC, DTL or FSK setting is most certainly the output code format then and you want to leave that set to MTC. FSK would likely work as well...they are very similar.

I wish I knew more about PT but I am a Cubase man.

So is there a control panel on the computer for the 002 then, or am I reading right that the 002 and PT are a unified unit and the bit-rate, sample-rate, clock source etc. are all set from within PT? I would expect there to be an option to slect the MIDI port on the 002 as the clock source or as I said "incoming MTC" or something within PT to do it.

Can anybody help?

You may want to try on the DAW forum or even on a PT focused forum.

The 002 is PT controlled

I'm now looking at the Motu 828 mk3 which has an internal synch I/O (so I can probably eliminate the PPS-2 0 and offers other advantages the 002 doesn't -

PT 9.0 no longer is proprietary in terms of hardware... but i'm honestly looking at other platforms as 9.0 seems to have a lot of installation/operation issues... and for about the same price (or less in some cases where there's a crossgrade offer) it may be time to jump ship from "the industry standard"... whcih really isn't anymore

I'm considering Logic or Digital Performer. I have Cubase LE and have no real qualms about it, so..... what I want is plug-in compatibility, a good midi editor, scoring is nice, and unlimited (or nearly) track count... and did I mention low latency?

I had one Digidesign experience years ago and was so frustrated over the proprietarianism...oooo!!!:mad:

I learned how to operate PT due to its propensity, but Cubase integrates SO well with so many hardware packages, and extremely so with my Yamaha hardware. I slave my Tascam BR-20T using a TimeLine Micro Lynx...it is a thing of beauty.

I also like the sound of Cubase's engine. It was the right price too. ;)

BTW, the 002R guide indicates that PTLE can salve to MTC, but I'm not going to look through the 1100 page manual for PT to figure out how...:confused::drunk:

'Clock Source' is referring to the digital audio clock (e.g. 44100 / 48000 / 96000), not the timecode. You'd most likely want to set that to 'Internal'. MTC sync is going to be dealt with somewhere else.

Yeah...that's right...

There is a MIDI System Setup dialog you pull up somewhere (MSS) and that may have the MTC reference within.

Cabling sounds good. Did you put Protools 'Online'? The button to the left of the RTZ button in the transport needs to be 'clicked'. It's the circle all the way on the left side. I believe it flashes when Protools is online and then goes solid when it's chasing. That's how you tell PT to chase.

transport.jpg

I have the same setup (002r, Protools and a TSR-8, PPS-2) and I do this all the time. PPS-2 should be set to 'Read' and 'MTC'. Audio track track 8 feeds to the input on the PPS-2, Midi Out from the PPS-2 goes to Midi In on the 002. Put Protools online and press play on the tape machine. Within a few moments Protools should start running.

Robert

Last edited:
Back