help, stuck on stupid!

bmorris

I have recently run into finances that will allow me to expand my home studio (about a grand to play with).

I am seeking advice on these items:

mics: Shure vs. AudioTechnica vs. Rode vs. Marshall (need to know what mics are affordably priced and quality enough for good home recording of mostly r-n-b and rap vocals)

mic preamps: Art tube vs. focusrite (and any other modest priced gear in this area)

compressors: alsis 3630 vs. RNC (same as above)

Here is my current setup:

-Akai DPS16 (16 track) multitrack all-in-one recorder
-MPC2000XL
-Korg Trinity workstation
-Emu Proteus 2500 sound module
-AKG C1000S mic

Any setup suggestions or just general feedback on my current setup or potential setup would be humbly appreciated...

Thanks in advance...

-Humble-

since you left your question so wide open here is my advice:

rnc: cant hurt $175
rnp: cant hurt $475
mic: since you are mostly doing vocals with it, you are going to have to try a bunch out and find your favorite. anyway, throw the rest of your money into this.

thanx...

but what exactly is RNP? preamp? and is this a product brand or just a directive comment telling how much I should spend for affordable quality?

thanks again..
-Humble-

$60 ART Tube OLP
$200 M-Audio DMP3
$550 Grace 101

Large diaphram condenser mics-

Audio Technica 4040 $300
Studio Projects C1 $200
ADK A-51 $150

Compressor FMR RNC 1773 $180

For $1030 you could own an AT 4040 condenser mic, Grace 101 preamp, and an RNC compressor. That would be an outstanding signal chain.

For $580 you could own a C1 condenser mic, M-Audio DMP3, and an RNC compressor.

Re: thanx...

bmorris said:
but what exactly is RNP? preamp?

yep. r-eally n-ice p-reamp. the grace would do as well.

but dont buy any mics till you try some. try to borrow a few, or maybe even rent, if it is affordable.

good point...

currently using some Fostex???? with a subwoofer. Not as accurate as I'd like (though I have become quite familiar with what it takes to produce good sounds as compared to other more souped up stereo systems). Any suggestions from the monitor gurus of the sight?

-Humble-

bmorris - check out my reply in the mic forum re: monitors - I have and love the Yorkville YSM-1p's. I tried out (using CD's I'm very familiar with) multiple event, KRK, mackie, alesis and tannoy models, and for the price, the Yorkies won hands down - clarity, bass extension. The only ones I liked better were the mackie 824's, but they were triple the price, and I stuggled to get the cash to buy the yorkies!

I also didn't say that you'll need a nice set of enclosed headphones for tracking your vocals if you don't have any - again, heaps of options, but I use the Beyer-dynamic DT250's, which sound great and are so comfortable I could wear them for days!!!

Steve

If you are shopping for mics...check out the Oktava MK-319. For the price...it's a nice mic. Can't go wrong with a SM57, though it's not a "fix all" like some will tell you. There really is no 1 mic for every voice or app.

Back