Help! Stereo track Mixing on AW16G

Kevin Blight

This isn't in the manual so I may be spitting into the wind here, but is it possible to halt mixing down to the stereo track to implement mixing changes and then restart the mixdown onto the stereo track? The AW16 doesn't have automated faders and I just don't have enough hands! Any suggestions gratefully received.

Also I seem to be getting a few crackles appearing (transients?) which I think are to do with the compression on tracks. Any ideas on how to reduce / eliminate them?

Ta.
K

Yo Kev:

You may want to buzz over to the AW16 site and post these queries?

But, with the Yam 2816, similar to the AW16 for sure, I set up the tracks with EQ etc. Then, I record the stereo track. Since you can erase the stereo track, if you don't like it, and reset, that should solve your problems?

But, maybe I'm missing something here?

Sometimes I've done the stereo track six times before I'm happy with it. Sometimes, even more.

Green Hornet

The 16G is capable of saving multiple (up to 99) 'scenes' of fader, FX, EQ, etc. settings per song.

These 'scenes' can be recalled at precise times, if programmed to.

I can't remember how (off hand), but it's in the manual.:)

Well that's a handy thought - and it certainly would make life a lot easier - but with that manual....who knows. I find it a bit vague sometimes.

Yo Kev:

You really underplayed the ambiguity of the manual for your SIAB and my SIAB 2816.

If the Yamaha big wigs only would hire an English teacher, musician type, who records, to write the manuals, or at least some parts of the manual, THEY WOULD SELL A WHOLE BUNCH MORE units to those folks who only want to fool around and record a little. BUT, they want to know how to do it rather than be boggled by some computer expert who is talking to computer experts.

Now, not all of my manual is that bad; however, 75% of it could be redone so it makes sense instead of nonsense.

I guess it's the old English Teacher retired coming out.

Green Hornet :D :p :p :cool:

Kevin, I second the vote for using scene memory. I often have 5 or more scenes even in a short piece--you can watch the icon dials spin as you playback and the scenes recall automatically.
It's like having 10 hands, and it's very quick and easy to set up.
it doesn't work for fades, however, so I save my hands to do this manually during mixdown. Head over to www.aw16g.com and do a search for "scene memory"--you'll find a simple, clear procedure for setting it up. (In fact, I wrote some of them, so I know they're beautifully clear... yuk, yuk.)

Best,
J.

Yep - looks like inserting scenes is the answer to that particular problem. Thanks Jefferee, GH, Tex and Burnout. It means a few less notes scribbled on scraps of paper and less to think about. Gives you a bit more concentration time to listen to what's going on which is a good thing. After 3 months I seem finally to be getting to grips with this thing and getting some half decent results which I hope to post at some point.

Maybe if the manufacturers got some kind of forum together or went through some of these forums they could issue revised manuals to the people who bought their product. I wouldn't mind paying for one if it was a real improvement.

YAMAHA AW Manuals

It appears that Yamaha has not bothered to hire more competent English manual writers! I've just purchased an AW 16G and find the manual obscure and misleading at times (yes, I'm being kind). It is when near the end of a session while trying to discover how to do something new that my mind "zones out" and can't grasp what they are trying to say in the manual. And don't get me started on the shortcomings of the "Index" they provide!

With over 5 years experience in computer technical support and some 23 years experience with microcomputers, I've seen worse manuals (and created some adequate ones myself). It has been a while, though...

The Green Hornet said:
Yo Kev:

You really underplayed the ambiguity of the manual for your SIAB and my SIAB 2816.

If the Yamaha big wigs only would hire an English teacher, musician type, who records, to write the manuals, or at least some parts of the manual, THEY WOULD SELL A WHOLE BUNCH MORE units to those folks who only want to fool around and record a little. BUT, they want to know how to do it rather than be boggled by some computer expert who is talking to computer experts.

Now, not all of my manual is that bad; however, 75% of it could be redone so it makes sense instead of nonsense.

I guess it's the old English Teacher retired coming out.

Green Hornet :D :p :p :cool:

Index?....ah, so that's what it is. I was wondering. Just seemed like a colection of words they had left over at the end....www.aw16g.com has been real help to me tho, as well as the guys on this board. Whatever the shortcomings of the manual, it's still a great machine. I am having a blast.
K

Hey Kevin, no one mentioned it by name, but I have a AW4416 and you can use the "Automix" to recall different scene's at any precise moment in a song. No sure if the 16G has automix or not but if it does it works beautifully.

Well I have tried it a bit - inserting scenes where there are fairly radical or multiple mixing changes, so I think it's pretty much the same. I'd love a 4416, but funds don't allow. (I just bought myself an Epiphone Les Paul - OK it's not a fully fledged Gibson, and I really have it for a second electric guitar it will never replace my Strat.....but jeeze...it RAWWWKKKSSS!!!!!!!!!! - fantastic for the money!!) I'm looking forward to recording some stuff with it, but I just got immersed in recording a song that is almost all keyboards and drum loops. ...It's time will come tho.

Back