HELP! Start-up of basement recording

RobbieNuke

I have an extra Windows PC and decided to start doing some basement recordings of original music. I would play all the instruments as well as being the recording engineer.

GOAL: to create sketches/complete original songs to present to my band/other musicians to learn the material for live performances. I would record one instrument at a time, mix/edit the finished product, then burn a CD.

QUESTIONS:

1. What software should I consider? Not looking to get into a full-blown professional grade studio set-up. Simple basic stuff like compression, EQ, some FX.

2. What interface hardware should I consider? Again, keeping it simple since I would be the performer and recording engineer (I currently only have a Peavey XR 680C mixer. 8-channels for the drums; can also use for vocal too, as well as an assortment of mics and DI Boxes for the other instruments).

3. Fixing mistakes! My past experience with analog tape recordings would be to 'punch-in' overdubs using a footswitch. Is this a viable option or is copy/cut/paste the preferred method in the digital realm?

How many SIMULTAINIOUS inputs would you need? No more than two? Eight? Sixteen? That answer would dictate what kind of interface to look at.
Software wise, a folks around here like Reaper. Beyond that is a SHITLOAD of things you'll need like acoustic room treatment, decent monitoring system, headphones, etc. Sounds like you already have some mics and such.

Don't go on the cheap.
I started out like you, just wanting to get some ideas down, record some original stuff, chord progressions and such to practice soloing over.
The more I'm getting into it I've realized the interface I bought, a M-Audio Mobile Pre-USb , which has 4 inputs <2 xlr/2 instrument> and 2 channels, is not enough. If your recording acoustic drums, go with 8 ins.

So, even though your not planning an any thing huge, get a little more inputs, with midi as well.

As far as software, that is up to you, and the specs of your computer. If it's an older computer, you'll need to go with an older version of software. Read the requirements before getting software. I tried pro-tools(400), reaper (free), krystal(free), and sonar(400). personally i prefer the sonar. as far as over dubbing and punch in's, it's a breeze.

There's a ton of stuff on you tube about different soft ware programs reviews.

Treat your home studio like a business. Make a business plan. Write a list of what your goals are, what equipment you have, what equipment you'll need, in order of importance.
Good Luck.....

Back