(Help!) sound card and mixer question

MikeRB23

I'm still deciding on which sound card to buy, Gadget Labs sounds like a good value, but they're outta buissness so ya know....I was also thinking about the Delta 44. How does the delta sound? any other card reccomendations?

Question number 2 is about what mixer to buy. I'm still kinda new at this, and I know I need a mixer because sound cards are at line level and I need the mic preamps and phantom power. But I want to still record each track seperately(at same time tho) and I'd like to have control over each individual track even after I record it (effects, eq, etc.) I'm liking the sound of the Mackie VLZ Pro pickups off the 1202 (i think thats the numbers) but does that have outputs from each track so i can record each seperately or just one stereo output for the whole mix? thanks for your time.
-mike

I have a Delta 1010 - I suppose the 44 has the same converters.
I'm listening to a track right now and I'm not sure if I'm playing or listening to a recording. That's with a sample size and rate setting of 24 bit 44.1 kHz.
I really don't know about 16 bit 44.1 yet since I'm just starting to do benchmark test with that. From what I've heard that sounds good. To me the main difference is the definition of each little sound. In 24/44.1 everything jumps out at you. 24 96 is very scary but you can get close to the 'openness' by eqng 24 44.1 but not the definition of everything. For the frightening definition the Delta 1010 imo must be at 24 96. But I actually enjoy recording in 16 bit ~11kHz. Something about it is B movie and 70ish. I going to use that as an effect as opposed to the core recording depth/rate.

I have a Mackie. The 1604 VLZ Pro. Mackie.com has all of the specs for the mixers and Musiciansfriend has TYPICALLY accurate descriptions of the models (e.g. direct outs). I really didn't want to fork over the bread but the mixer is important. The direct outs were a big factor in the decision. You might call Sweetwater.com and work with them just being careful of the psychology of that sort of thing. I think these areas have been covered here before many times so it may be difficult for you to learn on these by posting. Might want to keep trying forum research too.

Good luck,
Jeff

Back