help! some plug-ins are adding noise to my track!

dontouch

Has anyone ever experienced this annoying phenomena? The thing is, if I copy and paste the audio to a new project, it's totally clean. But as soon as I slab a plug-in on it, it becomes noisy! At first I thought it was the UAD 1176 because that's my main compressor, but the cubase native compressor does the same thing. EQ seems fine. This has happened to both DI'ed and miked signal. My project has under 40 tracks. I'm running a quad-core 8g Rokbox PS Orpheus Cubase 5....What's going on?

As soon as you put a COMPRESSOR plugin on it, or ANY plugin? If its only the compressor, then the noise is probably in the background all along, but the compressor is bringing it forward.

Some plugins have noise built into the algorithm like the original. Bootsy's NastyDLA actually has a knob for how much noise you want to dial in.

However, the 1176 is also a plugin I use a lot and I've never noticed any noise.

Cheers :)

As soon as you put a COMPRESSOR plugin on it, or ANY plugin? If its only the compressor, then the noise is probably in the background all along, but the compressor is bringing it forward.

I don't think that's the case. The noise is not musical (think the sound of frying bacon as the background in your take!). I'd have heard it during tracking.

To be clear, these are the things that made the noise go away:

1) copy and paste to a new audio track, it sounds totally clean at full volume. But as soon as I add inserts(1176, cubase compressor, and yes certain EQs now) on the new track, the noise is back, and became even worse if I bypass the inserts!!!

2) take the track out of its group seemed to help. but then I'd have to re-apply the inserts, which leads to noise...

Could it be the UAD PCIe card? Is it the buffer? Is it the hard-drive? Is it my interface? This is driving me crazy...

My system:
RokBox quad-core/3.3G/1T HD/8G ram|win 7 pro|cubase 5 32bit|UAD duo|Prism Orpheus (buffer 2000/latency 4ms)|Dangerous D-box|

Are you possibly clipping the signal?
Try turning the volume down a bit,either on the tracks,the subgroups or the master.

The best thing to do is post an example mp3.

If you add your compressor plugin but raise the threshold so high that it isn't actually compressing, do you still have the problem?

The best thing to do is post an example mp3.

If you add your compressor plugin but raise the threshold so high that it isn't actually compressing, do you still have the problem?

I'll try that. But my last attempt showed by simply adding the plug without changing any settings and I would have the problem

Back