Help setting up seperate headphone mix

kmb

Hello,

I need some help in making seperate headphone mixes for a drummer and vocalist. I am wanting it so I can listen through my monitors to my own mix and give the people tracking in the recording room their own custom mix.

I have a Rme hammerfall 9652 soundcard and cubase 5 which I have heard you can do this in either of these .

I have 3 mic pre's which I have 2 of them connected to my soundcard adat and the other via spidif. I have a behringer ada8000 running line outs into a behringer powerplay xl 4 channel headphone amp and my studio monitors running from the powerplay ,this is so I can listen to either monitors or any 4 headphones.

I have tried to make it so I can create seperate mixes but have failed miserably.

Would anyone be able to help me with this , I am unsure about making the outputs and where to route them etc.

Thanks.

The ADA8000 should give you enough outputs for up to four stereo mixes. The Behringer headphone amp should have enough options to distribute them to the 'phones and monitors. Is it the HA4700? If so, you can use the Aux inputs on the front of the unit to send separate mixes to individual outputs. An insert cable works great for sending a stereo signal from two 1/4" jacks (like on the ADA8000) to a stereo TRS Aux In jack on the HA4700.

In your DAW there should be some function for accessing the outputs of the ADA8000. In the software I use I create a bus and assign it to a hardware output. Then I can send tracks and inputs to any output. You may run into limitations, like not being able to vary the levels of the inputs between the different mixes. I monitor inputs through an analog mixer so my knowledge of monitoring through the computer is limited, but I have experimented with it.

Thanks for the reply, the line outs on the ada8000 are xlr only so I did try a xlr out from ada8000 into trs on the aux in on the headphone amp and in cubase 5 under 'studio' in the outputs tab I had that output assigned but nothing was coming through .
I am unsure what to assign to what to make it a seperate mix and because the ada8000 is xlr and the aux in on the headphone amp is one input can I only make it mono?

thanks

Thanks for the reply, the line outs on the ada8000 are xlr only so I did try a xlr out from ada8000 into trs on the aux in on the headphone amp and in cubase 5 under 'studio' in the outputs tab I had that output assigned but nothing was coming through .
I am unsure what to assign to what to make it a seperate mix and because the ada8000 is xlr and the aux in on the headphone amp is one input can I only make it mono?

thanks

Not having used an ADA8000 I didn't realize they're XLR outs. The TRS Aux ins of the headphone amp, assuming it's the HA4700, are stereo unbalanced. You'll need to adapt the XLRs to those stereo inputs. I don't think there's going to be an off-the-shelf cable, but you could build one. Tip is left channel, ring is right. Pin 2 of the left XLR goes to tip and pin 2 of the right XLR goes to ring. Pin 1 and/or 3 of each XLR goes to the sleeve of the 1/4" plug. You may have to try different options.

It may be simpler to go mono. An XLR-TS cable into the Aux should do it, but how pins 1 and 3 are handled could vary, that is, what goes to sleeve: ground (pin 1), cold (pin 3) or both. Then you'd press the ST./2 Ch. button in to feed the mono signal to both ears.

Rane Note 110 will shed some light on interconnecting balanced and unbalanced signals, but it doesn't cover the special case of two balanced outputs to a TRS stereo plug. For that you treat the tip and ring of the TRS as if they were tips of two separate TS plugs.

I can't help with the specifics of your software. Maybe someone with Cubase experience will post.

Back