Help setting up my Tascam 1800 interface

supposeda3

(NEWBIE ALERT!) I'll try to describe this as best I can:

I've always used a mixer to record demos with my band, then I had an Alesis 1/4 stereo to usb interface cable that I would run to my computer, which I use Mixcraft on.

The cable broke, so I bought a Tascam US-1800 usb interface, but now I cant get it to work. With my old setup, I would open up an audio track, then click the dropdown arrow on the "Arm" button in Mixcraft, and select my usb interface, and I was ready to record from it. I tried that with the Tascam, and it gave me a "Line In" option from the interface. After mousing over "Line In", it gave me stereo, left, and right options. I clicked stereo. I plugged my Sure SM57 mic into channel one, and tried to record some sound, but it only came in as left channel. I plugged into channel 2, and now only right channel. None of the other channels (including the line/guitar inputs) would give me any sound at all.

I deleted that audio track, and selected a Virtual Instrument track. I clicked the arm button's down arrow again, and selected "Recieve from MIDI Channel 1". But it woulndt register any sound input. I clicked "Change Instruments", and then the box had an "External MIDI Device" option. I was then able to select "Tascam US-1800". I selected channel 1, and tried again, but still nothing.

I got frustrated, so I decided to install the Cubase LE 5 software that came bundled with the Tascam. I installed it, and followed all the directions in the manual, but I couldnt get it to record from the interface either. When my mic is plugged into channel 1 or 2, it registers left or right respectively as input, but I can't figure out how to get it to record that sound, even after setting up the options on the track.

What am I doing wrong? I've spent a lot of time pouring over options and preferences in both Mixcraft and Cubase, but I cant for the life of me figure this out... HELP!

You record mono instruments to a mono track. Start by creating a mono track. In Cubase, make sure to arm the track and enable the monitor button (looks like a speaker). You will need to setup inputs in Devices>VST Connections. Then select them for each track via the inspector (window to far left).

See where that gets ya. :)

Ok, I created a couple mono tracks, and I'm able to record seperate channels on seperate tracks now. Thanks! :) But I'm not able to hear the playback, any idea why that is? I'm hearing other sounds on the computer, but no sound from Cubase is coming out of my speakers :(

Toggle the monitor button off. There is a setting in 'Preferences', where you can select 'Tape Machine Style', where the monitor will turn itself on when record button is pressed. I am not in the studio at the moment to give exact location. Give me a few and I'll get back to you.

So wait, you got it working? Or are you trying to monitor from your computer speakers from Cubase. I have no knowledge of the ability to do the latter. That would be a question for the Cubase forum. I can move this thread there if you like.

Oh, btw, the setting for 'Tape Machine Style' is under File>Preferences>VST>Auto Monitoring. Select TMS from the drop down menu.

Ok, so I'm going to continue to play with Cubase Le, but since I've already purchased Mixcraft 5, can I get some help setting up my interface with Mixcraft? I am already fairly familiar with Mixcraft, and it can do soo much more than the Cubase LE.

Ok, I know what I was doing wrong with Mixcraft. I got it to work, except that I dont know how to make each channel mono. I have to select my inputs in pairs (ch 1&2, 3&4, 5&6, etc). So if I have one mic in channel one, all I get is left audio. Anyone know how to make a mono track?

Back