Help selecting Monitors! 700 $ budget

Thisnameistaken

Hey everyone.

I want to get a small home studio happening but i'm not sure what to get for active studio monitors. I was wondering if you guys could offer up suggestions and ask a couple of questions. I just want the best bang for buck. I set a 700 dollar limit on a pair (350 each). I'm not sure if this matters but i'll be mostly recording grunge and metal, and some mellow acoustic stuff as well.

I've been looking heavily at some KRK rokit 6g2's
KRK Rokit 6 | Sweetwater.com

And these Behringer truth 303a's
Behringer Truth B3030A | Sweetwater.com

Can someone tell me which of these 2 is the better monitor?

I'd love a pair of ADAM a5x's but they're a little out of my price range. :(

I'm wondering if either of the 2 I linked above would be fine for me. If something is noticeably better for another 100$ or so i'd be willing to pick it up. So if you happen to know something that kicks these monitors asses for under 350 a pair let me know! Thanks!

Thanks for the reply capt.

I read elsewhere on the forum that the HS50's mids and highs are even clearer than the HS80's, but both are lacking in bottom end, whereas the Rokit's have more bottom end but not as clear mids? He then went on to say he got some Mackie MR5's. Know anything about them? Are they like the best of both worlds?

Thanks for the reply capt.

I read elsewhere on the forum that the HS50's mids and highs are even clearer than the HS80's, but both are lacking in bottom end, whereas the Rokit's have more bottom end but not as clear mids? He then went on to say he got some Mackie MR5's. Know anything about them? Are they like the best of both worlds?

I don't know anything about those sorry, you can definitely try to find a frequency response graph on google or their site and compare them to others. To me the mids and highs are more important when it comes to monitoring on the more "budget" monitors, that's what gives you the clarity in songs and where most of your sound is going to be. Flat response is what your looking for though, something that will accurately let you hear what is happening in the mix. The HS80s are accurate enough down to about 60hz, they actually have a small 2db boost from 60-100hz. There's not too much usable info down below 60hz though, let alone anything that your average car or stereo speaker will even be able to produce.

Just compare graphs and find one with the flattest response. And if possible listen to some in person at if any of your local music shops have recording gear.

Well, if I were in your position I'd get the KRKs (I've got the 6s too!) and then spend the leftover cash on room treatment! I'd get a few bass traps and then maybe a smidge of foam.

As for the KRKs, I've had mine for about a year and a half and they're great imo. I know there's "better" stuff out there, but really the key to mixing on studio monitors is just to know what the monitors sound like. I've just sat and listened to my monitors before while they play my iTunes or something...it really helps. Once you know how they sound, it's pretty easy!

People like to hate on them for muddiness, but in reality they aren't that bad. If you're just starting out, they're freakin' great.

If I couldn't stretch to the Adams, I would look at the Dynaudio BM5A Or something like Yamaha MSP/HS range. These speakers relate well for me; despite their overwhelming popularity, I've never really had the same affinity for Genelecs or Rokits that much. Don't rule out pre-owned speakers either, might get a bit more for your buck and someone will be able to justify their next upgrade :D

Back