Help required on how to connect all the components in a home studio. PLEASE HELP!

13AM

Hey guys.
I seem to have a rather wierd problem that no amount of searching on the internet has been able to solve. when recording vocals I am unable to change the volume of vocals with respect to the playback music without altering the level of recording. What happens is when singing if I'm getting loud vocals in the headphones, I am unable to open up and sing freely or maybe too low a volume for vocals which makes me exert more pressure to be heard for monitoring in headphones which results in crappy vocals on record either way.

I use a Mackie 6 channel mixer hooked up to an m audio fast track and record on a pc through cubase using the typical home studio setup. The main outs go to the m audio line interface. The output of interface goes back to the RCA cd/tape input on the mixer for playback. The ctrl room out goes to monitors and I use the headphone for monitoring while recording vocals. I cannot use the aux send for monitoring coz then I don't get the playback music and it sucks anyway coz of a mono signal only. (one ear).

The mixer I use has all the basic things most mixers of this range have still I don't find anyone else complaining. There is however the soundcraft compact 4 and 10 which seem to resolve this issue by offering a playback out and a dedicated artist headphone but no other mixer I've researched offer this option. (not a single one so far) and they've stopped making the compact 4 & 10.

None of the people posting on the net seem to complain about this problem so m guessing its only me. Can anyone tell me what m doing wrong and how to make it right? Is it an incorrect setup m using? Please help.

Back