Help Reformating with RAID 0

moelar2

I recently created a monster machine (well, sort of) but something went wrong. Here are the specs:

Gigabyte K8 Triton motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+
2.21 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM
Windows XP Home
RAID 0 using two 300 SATA drives

To make a long story short, I've been having problems with my recording setup, and I've tried troubleshooting everything but nothing works. So, I've decided to upgrade to XP Professional and reformat in hopes that any existing kinks will be ironed out. The only software I"m running now is: Cubase SX2 and Nero 6.

Can someone give me a brief overview of how to reformat using RAID 0? My brother setup the RAID 0 for me, but he's being a jerk (well, actually he's just really busy). I tried reformatting myself but then I got the "setup could not find hard drives" message (or something like that).

U need to install the raid driver during windows setup. Right when it starts, it asks you to "hit F5 to install a third party driver", make sure you do (it only lasts a second) and install the driver for whatever controller you are using (MB should come with a disk). When setup asks where to install windows, the raid volume should now be available.

You also need to build the raid volume first via the raid bios at computer startup

Ok, so this is what i've done (previous to your response)

1. Insert Windows disk
2. Restart computer
3. Change Bios setting to boot from Disk
4. Windows can't find harddrives

Where in this progression should I insert your steps?

Well after that.

First off, u need to make sure that the RAID controller is on in the bios, then you need to build the array in the RAID bios (it will prompt u to enter it some point after post), then you need to set it to boot from CD. If you did everything right, u should then be in XP setup where it will prompt u right at the beginning to press F5

Back