Help! Recording to laptop - variable transfer rate?

tigerflystudio

Hi, just started to get into recording direct to my (decent quality) laptop which makes things nice and simple (no files to import / export from my multitrack recorder etc.)

Problem is, aside from slight latency (which I'm happy to correct by manually dragging the recordings into sync with the midi drum track), there also seems to be a slight varience in timing with each recording.

For example, if I play a cool guitar riff bang in time witrh the drums, when I drag it back into sync with the first beat of the drums (to correct the latency), I'm finding that the guitar riff seems to wander off beat slightly. And no, it's not just my sloppy playing, ha ha.

What coudl be causing this? Could it be that the laptop transfering / recording at a variable rate? I'm going direct from POD 2.0 into the laptop's line in port. The problem also occurs when I use a decent quality seperate USB audio interface.

Advice / suggestions welcome.

Built-in soundcards (ALL of them) have about 40cents worth of parts and horrible drivers.

#1 Rule of Recording: You GOT to replace it.

You need an external 24bit interface with ASIO drivers to stop the latency (the quality will go up tremendously too)

Here's the Guide: Audio Interfaces and Soundcards
(you'll want to bookmark and read through the entire guide)

Back