Help recording on AT4040!

ccommie

I just bought the AT4040, its great, but It seems i get bassss wayy too much on my vocals, all i have is Acid Pro, thats what i use to record, or what is the problem? do you guys recommend better programs?

Give more details about your setup. Preamps, converters, soundcard, cables, monitoring.

How close are you to the microphone?

Danny

Equip I have.

I have At4040 w/ pop filter, stand, MAUDIO OMNI STUDIO USB, HEADPHONE MONITORS, and i use Acid Pro to record, but the Frequency gives off too much bass, when i speak in to it, i tried getting away from the mic, like 1 feet away and more sumtimes, it helps, but sounds isnt as good, theres a LOW CUT switch and a -10DB on back of microphone, dont know how to set it up correctly. I got a 3.0 cpu processor, but with 256 memory, dont know if that helps.

try using the cut off switch...if that doesnt help then try the mic a couple of inches above or below your usual height that you have it when you sing into it.

agreed - lo cut, and try putting the mic up an inch or 2, angled to your mouth a bit - I think that usually turns out nice with a bit less "bassy" and sillibance as well.

additionally, If you've only heard it on headphones....try taking it to a set of speakers - I bet it doesnt sound as bassy in there...

ccommie said:
I got a 3.0 cpu processor, but with 256 memory, dont know if that helps.

Well, first off, the 3.0's are notorious for imparting way too much bass in most recordings. If you were to back that up a bit to 2.0 and maybe switch over to Windows 98 ... you'll probably have much tighter bass.

Just messin' with ya. :D Like the other guys said, just back off the mic a bit, and engage the low-cut switch. What you're getting is proximity effect; a natural enhancement of the low end as a result of standing too close to the mic.

As for good programs to record with ... most of them have free trials where you can test their programs out for 30 days or whatever. I'd just go around and try out a bunch of them and see which you like best. Something like Sonar/Cakewalk, N-Tracks, or Adobe Audition will get you there. They all pretty much do the same thing. Nothing wrong with ACID, though, if it does what you need it to do.

Back