HELP! purchasing HD recording system

Nikki7

I have been making demos with an XT20 and a 1604 VLZ; it's a simple rig but as I'm pretty meticulous I've been really happy with the sound of my recordings. I'm purchasing a Mac G4 dual processor soon. I'd like to start using a program like Logic Platinum and I need to know exactly what items are absolutely neccesary to begin basic recording. Since I have a budget I prefer to purchase items I'll grow into (ex: I'm looking at the MOTU 1296 I/O). What else do I need in addition to a mic and a cable before I can press record? Oh...I mostly record bands...drums first then overdub the rest so I need to be able to use eight inputs at once. I would be greatful for any help. All the literature I've read assumes I know more than I do and I'm having trouble getting straight answers from sales people. Thanks!!!!!

P.S:

Maybe this will clarify the question:

To start recording do I need an external drive? (The Mac has 30 G) If I just have Logic and an I/O am I close?

Thanks

All you need in addition to your setup is a soundcard with eight line ins. Just make sure it has Mac drivers. I haven't looked into soundcards for Mac but I presume that most good ones work for both PC and Mac. Someone care to recommend an 24/96 8I/O Mac compatible card?

Then simply connect your direct outs to the ins on the soundcard and hit record. How you install and configure the soundcard/music SW is all up to the specific setup so I can't say anything about it.

30GB will be quite sufficient to begin with but many suggest having a second hard drive for audio only. Just get the fastest drive you can afford if you get a second drive. Read/write performance is crucial for HD recording. If you get a second drive, use it for the audio files only and keep the OS and application files on the first one.

/Ola

Thanks for that...I have a G4 and I just got the MOTU 2408 so I'm gonna mess with the (included) Audio Desk software so I can get a beter idea of what I actually NEED. (Other than scads of preamps!!)

I have to say that I have found more useful info on this BBS than all my other sources combined. This is an amazingly worthwhile endeavor!!

G'day Nikki7,

Interesting to hear that you bought the MOTU 2408 because I'm in the process right now of deciding what sound card to get for my Mac g3-300.

I'm looking at getting the 2408 or Digidesign's digi 001. I'd just like to know if you did much serious checking out of different cards before going with the MOTU? How did you come to the decision to get the 2408? Also, what is audio desk seriously usable or just a stepping stone up to the more recognised programs like Cubase, Logic etc?

Oh yeah, one other thing. What is the deal with Midi I/0 on the MOTU 2408? I can't seem to find any info on whether MIDI is supported. I'm assuming that it isn't but this seems strange for a card that has so many other great features.

Oh well, good luck with your recording, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on the 2408 in general.

Mark.

My guess is that Midi users will probably do well to go with the Digi 001 over the 2408, however as I currently don't use midi (I'm sure this will change in the future) I chose the 2408 for the following reasons: for some reason there's no ADAT sync on the 001, but there is on the 2408. Also, I like having connections for three ADATs on the back panel. The 001 only gives you one and for some reason it's on the sound card. Also, and call me crazy, but I like that all the inputs on the 2408 are on the back panel whereas the 001 has 1 and 2 on the front panel (although some users may like the fact that the 001's 1 and 2 are preamped and phantom powered.) The 2408 has METERS on the front panel where the metering for the 001 has to be displayed on your screen and as far as I can tell you have to execute any changes before you can listen to what you've done. Overall, after having a close look at both units and getting my hands on them I just felt like I would be happier with the 2408 and so far it's been great. Also, Audio Desk, for what I'm doing presently is a darn good program. I like working on Digital Performer (which AD upgrades to) and I may soon go for that upgrade. Keep in mind that most of what I do is recording of drums, guitars and vocals without much editing. I was previously working with either one or two XT 20's and a 1604 VLZ PRO, so all I really need it to do is be a console and a tape machine which it does very nicely. I'm sure I'll get into more editing, etc. as time passes so we'll see how DP works for that stuff.

Nikki7,

Thanks a lot for replying. I just went into my local music store on a recon mission to check out cards. The guy working there seemed to think that I'd be better off with the Digi001 for what I told him I'm doing.

Reason's? Well, I've got 2 mic's and no pre-amps so that's a big bonus as far as the Digi is concerned. I don't own any ADAT gear and can't see myself getting into this side of things although, who knows. So 24 channels of ADAT lightpipe (on the MOTU) seems like a bit of overkill for my intentions.

The one big stumbling block though is the software. Digi has pro tools le which is only 24 tracks (still this should be plenty for what I need but 64 just seems so good). What does audio desk offer in the way of number of tracks to record onto? However, the sales guy told me today that digidesign are bringing out drivers to enable the card to work with other software packages like logic and cubase. This is a big relief (Before you could only use this card with pro tools le right??), I can upgrade to other programs in the future if pro tools doesn't quite melt my butter.

This is all so bloody frustrating. Wish we were in a communist country where you could only get one kind of soundcard :).

Oh well, I hope I make the right choice in the end and I'm happy. Anything will be better than my current recording system: a bombed out Yamaha 4 track.

I'll post on this string when I've come closer to choosing my prey.

Cheers once again,

Mark

Back