Help - programming my patch for VH - JUMP

Toddskins

Analog programming help needed.

Here's what I have so far, without going into particulars on the actual patch (which sounds dead-on), I'm having problem with distortion when I play the octave in the Left hand, while also playing the right hand. But if I only play one of the two notes in the Left hand (and it doesn't matter which), then the distortion is not there.

Furthermore, the distortion in the patch is not there, if I play the Left hand octave alone, without adding the Right hand.

More. I've even gone so far as to create the same patch twice, modifying the 2nd a little bit, and then creating a split layer at the middle of the keyboard to see if that would eliminate the distortion, but it did not. One patch for the Left hand, and the other for the Right.

This tells me the distortion is coming from the frequency overlap of all these notes being played simultaneoulsy, I believe.

The fact that if I play the song JUMP, using only 1 note in the Left hand (again, it does not matter which - the lowest note octave, or the note 12 Semitones above it), everything sounds fine. Of course, the problem is that while you're playing the song, you need to play both notes because one of the notes in the Left hand sustains in the actual song.

Any ideas on how to eliminate the distortion from the addition of the 2nd Left-hand note?

- - -
Reiterating:

If I hold down the chord in the right hand, and then play one note in the left, all is ok. But the moment I add the 2nd note Octave to the Left hand, the distortion is very bad.

The patch is being played on my Novation Supernova II, utilizing 3 oscillators (1 - Square, 2 - Saw, 3 - Saw) and Oscillator #3 is tuned 1 octave above the other two.

Using 4-Pole Low Frequency Filter, with moderate Resonance, and the Frequency fairly high.

Like I said, this sound is dead-on as it stands, except for the distortion when 5 notes play simultaneously (2 in the Left hand, and the chord in the Right).

Help, please.

Well....

I found that when I lower the "Overdrive" knob in the Frequency section down from 46 to 11, that eliminated all the problem.

BUT, now the tonal color of the sound does not sound dead-on as it had before. It needs that bite, that raspiness, that the overdrive had provided.

Still... any ideas on how to attack this problem?

Thanks

Back