Help Pleassseee Lost Song

thebarnstudio

Ok, I have a huge problem. A current tune I've been working on that has turned out very well will not open. I'm running sonar 6.0 producer edition. I simply finished tracking at night, came back the next morning and it says " The file you are trying to open is not compatable with this version of SONAR" . WTF???? I dumped the song to my external HD and tried it in my house computer and the same thing happens......again WTF? Any ideas?

Your probably going to have to contact Cakewalk Tech Support.

Is it a project file, or a bundle file? I had them help me with a similar problem a couple of years back. They were able to fix it by me sending them the project file (without the audio), which is fairly small and easily e-mailable.

Not sure what else you can do if you don't have a backup.

I recorded 5 or so songs under one folder. The exe's for each song are under the folder and under the folder is another folder for the audio data. So your saying i would have to send them the .exe for the song and they can fix it?

thebarnstudio said:
I recorded 5 or so songs under one folder. The exe's for each song are under the folder and under the folder is another folder for the audio data. So your saying i would have to send them the .exe for the song and they can fix it?
I'm not sure what you mean by an "exe."

It sounds like you are using per project audio storage. As such, there should be a file for each song with a .cwp extension (e.g., song1.cwp). That's the file Cakewalk will need.

The good news, however, is that it seems like the most important stuff (the audio files) are still there. That means that at least you haven't lost what you recorded. You should, therefore, be able to recreate the project if needed. It would be a bit time consuming, but doable. You would have to start a new project, and import the audio into it. And, of course, reset any plug-ins and envelopes.

I would try to contact Cakewalk first. That would certainly be the easiest way if they can fix the .cwp file.

that sounds good and all, but for now im using downloaded software. I'm pretty sure they won't give me any technical support with that....

thebarnstudio said:
that sounds good and all, but for now im using downloaded software. I'm pretty sure they won't give me any technical support with that....

ouch ...

Reactions: NL5
thebarnstudio said:
i havent made any money off it, so what is wrong with that?

Huh?

The Barn Recording has evolved from a small home studio to a full professional studio. We have invested in world class equipment, such as the legendary Nuemann U87 mic, and Trident s20 Pre's to deliver that "sound" you have come to know , and expect. You will not get a more professional sound for my price. I have hookups to get professional equipment for sessions, such as Mesa Boogie/Marshall/Ampeg amps. Rates are very reasonable at $35/hr for recording/mixing/mastering. We can also mix your recordings through our console for a good analog mix. All formats accepted. Full equpiment list is available upon request. SPECIAL PROMO- 5 songs for $700 dollars.

Not to be an ass, but a "full professional studio" should think about purchasing their software - especially for this very reason. The header is probably just corrupted, and customer support could probably help you fix that.

Good luck.

Well im not full PROFESSIONAL, I do it in my spare time, im a 19 year old college student. Would any of you guys be so kind as to send my .cwp to them ??? Pleeeeeeeeaseeeeeee???

Last edited:
thebarnstudio said:
Would any of you guys be so kind as to send my .cwp to them ??? Pleeeeeeeeaseeeeeee???
Look, pal, it's behavior like this that leads software companies to use dongles and activation keys and all the other shit that makes software user-UNfriendly for us jerks who were stupid enough to pay for the stuff. Bless Cakewalk for not having gone down that road yet.

You won't find much sympathy here.

thebarnstudio said:
i havent made any money of it, so what is wrong with that?
I think you learned what's wrong with it, considering that you lost your song. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It was probably that once-in-a-million hit that cant be re-created....

Well, if you are using cracked software, probably not. :D

thebarnstudio said:
Well im not full PROFESSIONAL

First off, you are the one that said you were a FULL PROFESSIONAL.

Second, you have a $2400 mic, but can't afford software? Reaper is $199. Surely you can afford that? Then, you would get some help.

re

DavidK said:
I think you learned what's wrong with it, considering that you lost your song. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It was probably that once-in-a-million hit that cant be re-created....

No, it wasn't a one in a millon hit , and it probably could be recreated. But it was a song I put alot of work into, and it sucks to lose it.

Also, I made that myspace account because I couldn't get very much business, except for freinds. Like I said, it's a hobby for me, and if this was all that I did, I wouldn't be able to afford the $2400 dollar mic that I have. I spent a few hours today, and recreated the song by editing the audio data I had left, as suggested by a few actually helpful people. So , I basically saved 600 dollars for sonar 6, and I have my song again. I might purchase sonar 6 when I actually do clients , other than my own band. I use this software purely to educate myself, and learn the craft. I don't see how this is effecting Cakewalk, or any other companies. I'm sure that you have never burned a cd from someone NLS, have you?

thebarnstudio said:
DavidK said:
So , I basically saved 600 dollars for sonar 6,

No, basically you stole SOnar.
I'm sure that you have never burned a cd from someone NLS, have you?

I dont see him boasting on the internet about it.

I will be kind since you are a local boy, but in the future just STFU about stuff like this. YOur myspace has a location and people from various software companies DO watch these sites. Its not like the CIA is going to hound you, but you are being careless, let alone just pissed off a bunch of people who will not be willing to help you anymore, and you have the red marks a la the scarlet letter from now on. Ultimately its not worth it, just buy the damn software.

I was not boasting about it , however i WILL buy the software when I get real paying clients. As far as getting help, I've learned how to play drums and record all on my own, im sure I can figure out how to get the song back, which I have. I'm sorry for being arrogant, I will take my issues elsewhere in the future.

thebarnstudio said:
I'm sure that you have never burned a cd from someone NLS, have you?

First off, if you are aware of the Fair use act, you would know that that is legal. Second, as a business, how would you feel if someone had you record and mix a project, then come in and take the masters without paying? Now, what if they called you up and asked you how to fix part of one song? Not cool, huh?

I'm really not trying to bust your chops, but you have to understand that you are asking for help with pirated software. As a business, you should want to be able to call customer support. Besides, you can write it off as a business expense. The fact is, you were able to buy more gear because you stole the software. You COULD of afforded to buy it. Period.

I'll bet that if you purchased a copy of SONAR today, then sent them your damaged file tomorrow you could get some legit help. If the file is that important to you, you'll pay the price for doing business ("professional" or not). Moving forward, you'll be free of shame and worthy of support.

There's a way out of hell but you've got to repent :D

What is it with kids these days? Damn. You'll buy the software once you get paying clients? That's backwards. You need to get yourself ready to do legit business first...then you get clients. It's clear you are not ready.

Back