4 e604
1 sm57
1 oktava mk319
1 adk a51
1 beta 52
1 akg perception 150 (sdc)

1 large room

I can only track 8 channels

What should I mic? I want a huge sound, so should I focus more on getting a good room placement. Which one(s) should I use for the room? Should I only track 2 toms or maybe 3? Too many choices, I need help.

I'd start with getting a good sound with 2 OH's, snare and kick mics....then work on toms if you want to close mic for more impact. Several people around here get great sounds with just the 4 mics, so striving for that will be most of your work...get that first.

I don't use any of those mics, so can't help with specifics, but some seem to like the 604's for snare and toms....and the beta 52 should do well on kick...not sure about OH's.

I don't use any of those mics, so can't help with specifics, but some seem to like the 604's for snare and toms....and the beta 52 should do well on kick...not sure about OH's.

Yes ideally you would use two identical mics for overheads. I agree with dogman, beta 52 on kick for sure, sm57 on the snare, 604's on the toms perhaps, maybe one on either the top or bottom side of the snare to accompany the 57.

57 on top of snare
per 120 bottom snare
adk a51 middle overhead
oktava room 15' away
52 just inside kick
3 604's on toms

That didn't turn out to bad at all. The snare is a little ringier then I like and the kick is a little set back in the mix, but your toms and cymbals came through pretty good!

Yeah I dont like the snare sound. But that is what I get for tracking a picollo snare in my garage. I think the kick needs some eq work too. My room mic sounds just like you would think, drums in a garage 20 feet away, kind of boingy and noisy. Any suggestions on placement for that one. Should I use the sdc for that? I might just move that one up and make a stereo overhead and no room mic.

While someone is playing, walk around and find the spot where it sounds best to you. That's where you put the room mic, right where your grape was. It is just a glorified ear after all.

Next Time...

Next time, I would keep the same setup for the toms, and the 57 on the Snare, use the oktava as the room but use to akg 150 on the hi-hat and keep the other condenser as a middle Overhead and turn that signal up, the cymbals weren't loud enough i didn't think...
And I liked the sound of the snare, but thats just my taste, as for the kick drum, I put a post on a similar thread, a newer one... look at that for a little of my tips...

Hope I help and overall the recording was great and I think you have a lot to work with...

Good Night!
-The Electric Blu Studio

Back