Help please - Strat string tightness

gtds

Hi

I've just bought my first Strat. It's a 2002 US model. I really like the neck action but find the strings (stock strings) are too tight. Is this something that can be resolved without causing any damage to the guitar?

If you can help me with this query I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks
gtds

You can put lighter strings on it. If you do, it would be a good idea to have it set up by a qualified tech. The tension will go down, and the truss rod may need adjustment. I assume that your last guitar had a shorter scale neck, and this is what you are noticing. What guitar are you comparing the string tension to?

Matty

I don't know what you're used to playing, but Strats have a longer neck than many other guitars. The frets are farther apart. So, the strings have to be tighter to be in pitch.

I think the strings on most stock Fenders are 9s. You could try 8s, but that is very lite and you may break a lot of them unless you play VERY softly.

Play it every day for an hour for a month.

If it's still too tight, then change them. But you should have no problem adjusting to the tension after that time.

foo

Hi

What I mean is that the tension on the strings feels tight - i.e. can't bend the string(s) as much as I'd like to (nothing extreme!). And no, it's got nothing to do with finger strength.

I'm comparing the tension to other same model strats I tried in shops. The reason I went for this model however is that it had the nicest neck action.

In the shop I didn't notice the tension issue. I felt this more at home and was wondering what can be done, if anything. I'd rather not go down in string gauge as I believe the stock strings on strats are .9's. I will buy new but want to keep the same gauge.

I was under the impression that strats are very 'customiseable' instruments so want to know if there is something that can be down other than changing string gauge - e.g. bridge, tremolo, etc... modifications.

gtds

64Firebird, my other guitar is an Epiphone Nighthawk and yes I would expect there to be less tension but that's besides the point because what I'm saying is that it feels tighter compared to other Strats I've tried (same model thought).

I have a supition the problem lies with the bridge. In the shop I remember looking at it closely to check that it wasn't a
"hard tail" as I remember thinking that it felt stiffer than on other strats I'd tried that day.

So I'm wondering how you go about looseing the tension (only slightly!) on the bridge.

Thanks for the replies, by the way....
gtds

By my thinking, the only way to reduce string tension is to:

a) reduce string guage
b) shorten scale length.

Because you cant do b) you are stuck with reducing string guage.

That guitar may have a 10's set up, so I recommend trying a set of 9s.

Personally mine go to 11.

Strings can also feel "tight" if you have a very high action. However, the change in the feel or tension if you can lower the action way down is pretty small.

It might be that your guitar was set up with 10's; it would be unusual for a new Fender, but it wouldn't be unheard of, especially if store personnel had changed the strings...

As an ultimate last resort, you can buy what is called a conversion neck from a custom builder (someone like Warmoth... www.warmoth.com ). This is a neck that bolts on to a normal guitar body that's designed for 25.5" scale (a strat or similar), and converts the guitar to a 24.75" scale. It might just be that you are not comfortable with the longer scale length.

For conversion necks, go to this page:

http://www.warmoth.com/thrift/necks/stratneck_list.asp

Then scroll down to "Stratocaster® Short Scale Conversion Necks SSCSx". These are pre-made necks that are short scale, and are available for a little less money than if you ordered one custom built. However, they're still gonna cost some cash, and they will need all the hardware (tuners, nut, string retainers, bolts and bolt pad, and finish).

Savageblues is right. All you can do is change the strings. Try a new set of 9's before you get too worried. As Charger mentioned, the shop may have changed the strings.

It does sound like it's got heavier strings than the rest of the Strats you played. But, before you change them play it this way for a while and see if you can get used to it. My Strat has 11s and on a good night, I can bend just about anything above the 7th fret up a Major 3rd (4 frets). I've known a lot of guys that use 10s, but anything smaller than that and the tone just isn't there.

It is actually harder to bend thinner strings. I mean, it's physically easier, but the change in pitch is less, so that ultimately you ahve to bend a lot further to get the same effect. The heavier your strings, the more "bend" you'll get from your bends.

I'm going to get some .9's today but I have a feeling the strings on the guitar are already .9's. They are a bit old and rusty though.

i use an 11 gauge set and a strat with 9's that isn't set up properly is harder to bend. SRV had a 13 guage E on his strat....when he was playing and made all those contorted faces, gritting his teeth and shit, it wasn't cause he was in the "zone"...those faces came from bending that 13 gauge E. kind of like a weight lifter doing a power lift! :D

I must disagree. I've put 13 1/2 guage E strings on my guitar and it's not that hard to bend once you get used to it. SRV WAS in the zone. He was feeling the music.

Hi people

Many thanks for all your advice.

I changed the strings to Ernie Ball .9's and that's made a difference already. The stock strings were Fender Bullet .9's. The Ernie Ball strings seem to have more flex to them. Playing now requires less effort and is more enjoyable.

The strings that came with the guitar were slightly rusty and old but I don't think that was the full reason for not being able to bend them.

When tuning the guitar with the new strings and pulling them away from the guitar with my fingers in order to flex them they felt different to the Bullet ones. The Bullet ones felt stiff and there was hardly any room for my fingers to pull. The Ernie Ball allow for more give.

Another test - with the Bullet strings I could not apply any pressure whatsoever on the strings on the head part of the guitar where the nuts are. The Ernie Ball strings allow for some pressure to be applied. The Bullet strings felt like they were going to snap if any pressure was applied.

gtds

Back