HELP! Pipe or tubing in odd size

PhilGood

Juice box hero
I have been rebuilding some mics left over from parts and circuits left over from Soundelux. I ran into a road block. The machinist making the bodies got one done for one of the e47 (U47 copy) mics. I bought aluminum pipe that was 2.5" outer diameter and 2.25" inner diameter. The 2.25" inner diameter fits the frame perfectly so I had him machine one full solid body to match the U47 dimensions. It looks great!

However, the labor involved in machining a single piece brought the cost of the body up to $300 each. I still have 3 more e47s to do and 13 iFet7s to do. I can't afford it at $300 a pop. So I thought I will just have him machine the simple parts for the basket and get them welded together and then find tubing that will make the sleeve and attach with the 3 screws that hold the basket to the frame.

Here's the problem: No one seems to make pipe that is 2.375" (2 3/8") outer diameter and 2.25" inner diameter. It needs to be aluminum because that's what Neumann used for the sleeve of the U47.

Anyone know of a place to get this size tubing? I am at a complete LOSS!

Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

no...but by the time you shell out for him to do 16 more bodies...you can buy a lathe and do them your self...

The 2.25" ID is kinda oddball.

Rigid Aluminum Conduit is fairly common and is sized by the ID, so a 2-1/2" Rigid Al pipe is 2.5" ID and about 2.75" OD. The 2" version has an OD of 2-5/16". It's also very soft annealed.

You might check out aircraft-grade or try to hook up with a hobbyist that can do the machining but isn't relying on it to pay the rent.

I have been rebuilding some mics left over from parts and circuits left over from Soundelux. I ran into a road block. The machinist making the bodies got one done for one of the e47 (U47 copy) mics. I bought aluminum pipe that was 2.5" outer diameter and 2.25" inner diameter. The 2.25" inner diameter fits the frame perfectly so I had him machine one full solid body to match the U47 dimensions. It looks great!

However, the labor involved in machining a single piece brought the cost of the body up to $300 each. I still have 3 more e47s to do and 13 iFet7s to do. I can't afford it at $300 a pop. So I thought I will just have him machine the simple parts for the basket and get them welded together and then find tubing that will make the sleeve and attach with the 3 screws that hold the basket to the frame.

Here's the problem: No one seems to make pipe that is 2.375" (2 3/8") outer diameter and 2.25" inner diameter. It needs to be aluminum because that's what Neumann used for the sleeve of the U47.

Anyone know of a place to get this size tubing? I am at a complete LOSS!

Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

Hey Phil,

Contact me privately for all your machining needs. As you can guess, somehow (;)) I am experienced with making mic bodies and parts. Here in my shop I have a 2.75 horse power 10"x22" high precision lathe, with digital readouts with 1micron :-)eek::eek::eek:) resolution.
If you need, powder coating of any texture (wrinkle, hammertone, vein, etc.) is not the problem, either. CNC engraving coming soon...

Best, M

Last edited:
Hey Phil,

Contact me privately for all your machining needs. As you can guess, somehow (;)) I am experienced with making mic bodies and parts. Here in my shop I have a 2.75 horse power 10"x22" high precision lathe, with digital readouts with 1micron :-)eek::eek::eek:) resolution.
If you need, powder coating of any texture (wrinkle, hammertone, vein, etc.) is not the problem, either. CNC engraving coming soon...

Best, M

Marik,

Thanks! You are a life saver! I am pretty tired tonight, but I will have some time to email you in the morning with my needs. If you can do it and we can work out a payment/price deal I will pay this guy for what he's done and have you do the rest. I badgered him for months to even get started and he got a prototype finally last week. It looks good, but his lathe is off in centering the tube and has a taper to everything.

I thought about shooting an email to Tony since he gets replacement parts done, but the Soundelux have slightly different machining, so I want it to match originals. The e47s can be separate pieces that fit together, but I'd like the iFet7's to be a solid job if possible because of how they anchor to the frame.

I'll email you tomorrow. Thanks again!

Phil

It looks good, but his lathe is off in centering the tube and has a taper to everything.

Well, ANY lathe has it to some extend, but should be within tolerances and can be adjusted. For example, with a regular chuck the off center can be considerable because of the run out, but then with independed jaws you can set it somewhere close to 5 micron. It just takes MUCH MORE time to set, and the price goes up accordingly.
In backplates (where very high presision is really needed) I do it with specially cut 5c collets. Again, depends on the tolerances.

The e47s can be separate pieces that fit together, but I'd like the iFet7's to be a solid job if possible because of how they anchor to the frame.

That would be no problem, just give me plans (or body to copy). Is it everything Al?

Best, M

That would be no problem, just give me plans (or body to copy). Is it everything Al?

Best, M

Well, I know that at least the sleeves (body) on the U47 were aluminum, but I don't remember about the basket. I believe it was plated brass. If that's the case I will provide brass for you, but if not we can continue with aluminum. Can you, or do you know someone who could braze the parts?

P

Well, I know that at least the sleeves (body) on the U47 were aluminum, but I don't remember about the basket. I believe it was plated brass. If that's the case I will provide brass for you, but if not we can continue with aluminum. Can you, or do you know someone who could braze the parts?

P

The Al is cheaper and easier to machine. It is trickier to electroplate it, as it needs an agent, but still very possible.

Best, M

Back