Help! Phantom string buzz...

Hi, all. I picked up a new acoustic (Ibanez AEF18) a couple months ago and everything was peachy. I haven't had much time to play it since then and when I picked it up tonight I have a terrible buzz on the high E 3rd and 4th frets (buzz on the B as well, though not as bad).

What could've happened? I thought it might be the humidity (which is infamous here in Iowa) - is that possible? And regardless of the cause, how do I fix it? With an electric it's easy enough to raise or lower the action - I have no idea how to do it on acoustic. Please help - I'm freaking out! :eek: Thanks.

J

Humidity and temp. changes can do this . Acoustics are more prone to these problems than elec. because of the exposed wood surface.(inside)
If it's only buzzing on the first few frets, the truss rod needs loosened slightly.(about a quarter turn should do it). You could raise the bridge saddle by putting a shim under it but it won't help much (and your action would be be higher.)
The fact that it's only 2 strings is a little puzzling, it also could be a loose fret that has raised slightly on one end and needs tapped down with a fret hammer. You could use a small regular hammer with some masking tape over it to protect the frets from dings and scratches. Inspect the frets just ahead of the ones your playing on when it buzzes. Sometimes you can see where they have popped up and left a tiny gap underneath or on the end. If it's only on the 3rd and 4th frets,and not the 1st or 2nd, then it's definitely a raised fret.

Thanks for the reply, goldtopchas. Yeah, it's just the high E and B - the others seems fine.

If I decided to try and tap the frets, I'm assuming that - with the buzz being worst at the 4th fret - I'd want to tap the 5th (since that's the one the string must be rubbing against)?

Sorry if that's a silly question, but wanted to make sure. Let me know... Thanks!

J

Sorry about the long wait.... Yes... the fret just ahead of the one that you're playing when it buzzes is usually the culprit. If you bought this recently, take it in and let them correct the problem. It will save you the frustration and if it's an issue that can't be solved easily, they should replace it. Good luck!

Back